2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 5.2 motor pings

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean Sea-Foam; Sea Foam is good to clean built up carbon some what and if you do it right and use enough... it might help* if you read the TSB from Dodge the last step after doing the repair is to use their decarbon foaming action in the cyl. letting it set and then running the **** out of it.. it puts the chemicals directly on the carbon... I did this once with Engine tuner.. (same stuff) made by Johnson out board..

most ppl say to sea foam *after* you fix the plenum. other wise it's not really any use.. esp. if it causes an already week or leaking seal to break even more.. I've used it and really never seen any difference; it all depends on if your engine is actually all carbon'd up or not.. Mine never was just had a little...

on the "Autolite 3923 plugs are best for performance" I tried them once and when i first fired up my idle was slick as glass for about 3 seconds then was the same old truck. Actually reduced my performance. I'm running the Autolite I forget the numbers but they are the 'stock' alternative listed for my engine. Seems to get better performance..

Don't know what that says about my engine.. someone care to chime in be my guest but as far as I'm concerned for my truck they were a waste of money and time.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, fix the plenum then Seafoam it, in the intake only, don't bother pouring it in the oil. Then after it's fixed, don't baby it all the time, I've seen engines that have been babied their whole lives and it leads to carbon buildup and pinging.

I prefer NGK plugs.

Premium is a bandaid fix on a motor that's designed to run on regular, if it pings on regular, then you know something is wrong.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 11-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to run super in mine, otherwise it will ping under load.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't really see any difference between Reg; Mid and Super.. all runs about the same in my engine really..

Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
gnelson49
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Tune Up Will Fix It!

Do a full tune up, the pinging will go away if you do. Mine had the same issue, pinging under load climbing hills when I first got it. Not long after I was getting misfire codes when I climbed and it pinged. Turns out there had been no preventive maintenance done, bought it with 95k and it probably had original plugs. Do plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, air filter, oil, and run Seafoam through the intake. Pull off the throttle body and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner. Make sure you remove all sensors first, and replace the gasket ($3). I bought my plugs from the dealer, same price essentially as O'Reillys or Autozone, think they were NGKs, those are stock. Don't waste money on platinums or multi prongs, they are garbage for these motors. Do the Seafoam before you replace your plugs though About a third of a can put in through the line to the brake booster, shut the truck off for about 5 minutes, then have fun driving through your neighborhood and onto the freeway belching smoke out your pipe. Definitely turns a few heads!

Quick Reply: 1999 5.2 motor pings