2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Pulls Left?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
sl2racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine pulls very slightly to the left. i had 2 alignments done and didn't fix it. tie rods were inspected and not worn. bought new tires on all 4 wheels and no fix. replaced breaks and no fix. then i was back at the shop one more time for another alignment and still no fix. then an old mechanic came over and had me put the steering wheel in the center/ straight position with truck on the ground and turn the truck off. then without touching the steering wheel start the truck and watch the steering wheel. when we did this it did a very small jerk to the left. he then told me i needed a new steering rack because there is a valve in it that is sticking.

that was 2 years ago and i always mean to replace it but i learned to drive with it pulling.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 AM
NullPointer
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I have same thing, slight pull to left. New inner and outer tie rods, everything is tight up front. I've had it aligned 4 different times at multiple shops trying to get rid of it, but at this point I've had multiple shops say alignment is perfect. Have new tires, and rotated them, no changes.

It's not a major pull but enough to be annoying. I'll try the steering rack test tonight and see if I have same symptoms. Other than this issue, the truck drives perfect, but it annoys me every time I drive it (maybe I just have OCD issues).

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by NullPointer
It's not a major pull but enough to be annoying. I'll try the steering rack test tonight and see if I have same symptoms. Other than this issue, the truck drives perfect, but it annoys me every time I drive it (maybe I just have OCD issues).
Exactly!

I just did the steering rack 'test' and no turning to be noted from my wheel.

(ugh)

Last edited by MadisonDakota; 01-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

it just looks like i slight shutter in the steering wheel when it does it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Yeah mine doesn't even consider twitching. I guess that's good, hopefully whatever is wrong with it is cheaper than a rack.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
NullPointer
Amateur

Just checked my steering on startup today. Mine didn't move a bit either.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Measured the wheel wells today. The rear right is 1" higher than the rear left, and the front left is 1/2" higher than the front right.

Clues?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

I am 80% sure I fixed it. (or I'm 100% sure I fixed it 80%)

The overload spring was slightly crooked on the left side. I loosened the four bolts holding it on, hit it with a dead blow hammer to push it back in line, and crisscross tightened all four of them to good 'n tight.

Just for anyone else that finds this thread at a later date.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
NullPointer
Amateur

What do you mean by "overload spring"? Is this some additional helper spring that you installed on stock rear springs to carry more payload or something? I don't have that setup, it's just the stock springs, so unfortunately, I don't think that's my issue, but glad you got it going straight down the road!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by NullPointer
What do you mean by "overload spring"? Is this some additional helper spring that you installed on stock rear springs to carry more payload or something? I don't have that setup, it's just the stock springs, so unfortunately, I don't think that's my issue, but glad you got it going straight down the road!
The bottom spring on the leaf springs is a straight piece of steel thicker than the rest of them. I've always called it the overload spring, i'm not sure that's the proper term.

(I do have the 'towing' package, so you may be correct in assuming you don't have one, I don't know)

Last edited by MadisonDakota; 02-12-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulls Left?