2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Pulls Left?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulls Left? [Solved! 2/11/13]

All of my tires are at 35psi. The alignment is in spec. The brakes don't drag. (at least the front one, I'm not sure how to see if the rear ones drag) I'm thinking about taking a thermometer to the rear wheels and seeing if they are close to the same temp...

I'm drawing a blank. Help!

Solution:
The overload spring was slightly crooked on the left side. I loosened the four bolts holding it on, hit it with a dead blow hammer to push it back in line, and crisscross tightened all four of them to good 'n tight.

Just for anyone else that finds this thread at a later date, the things I tried:
*New tires (not because of the pull, I needed some)
*Alignment
*Tire pressure equalization
*Bleeding brakes, checking for dragging

Last edited by MadisonDakota; 02-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 AM
johnhoj

make sure the torsion bars are adjusted the same.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

my 03 has a sticky valve in the steering rack.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could possibly be a bad tire in the front. Rotate the tires front to back, back to front and see if it changes anything. Rotate one side only and then test drive, if no change rotate the other side and test drive. That will help identify the problem tire.

To check the rear brakes, put wheel chocks on the front tires, jack the rear end up and support it safely on jack stands. Check the truck completely to be sure it is stable and supported safely. Then slide under the rear end and spin each rear wheel by hand. You should feel only a slight drag on the rear shoes and drums. The tire should spin maybe half to 3/4 of a revolution when you give it a good push. If you need to adjust the brakes you can pull out the rubber plug on the bottom of the backing plate and use a brake spoon or flat blade screw driver and rotate the star adjuster. Moving the adjuster by pushing down on the brake spoon will tighten the brakes, moving the spoon up will loosen the brakes.

When I adjust my rear brakes I like to tighten them down so the wheel will not move at all, then back it off until I get a slight drag, the tire turns half of a revolution and a slight scraping noise is heard when I give the tire a good push. Doing it that way helps me set both sides evenly. You can also do about 10 or 15 hard stops with the truck in reverse and the self-adjusters will adjust the brakes too. I prefer doing it by hand, I think it is more accurate, plus it does not give me a headache.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 01-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by sl2racer
my 03 has a sticky valve in the steering rack.
Does it just slightly pull? What are the symptoms?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Jimmy
The pull followed me through a set of tires, but I will rotate them today and see if that helps any. I have disk brakes in the rear, so i'm not quite sure what can be going on there...i'll inspect the rears today.

Last edited by MadisonDakota; 01-06-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You could have a poor alignment it happens way more than it should very common problem.

I have had two poorly done alignments over the years and so have many of my friends one was so bad as to constantly pull to one side took it back they claimed it was perfect wouldn’t fix it so I took it to another shop and it was so out they couldn’t believe another shop did the job.

It happens

Other could be something is Bent

Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
The pull followed me through a set of tires, but I will rotate them today and see if that helps any. I have disk brakes in the rear, so i'm not quite sure what can b e going on there...i'll inspect the rears today.
I did not know you have rear disc brakes. The biggest and most obvious sign of sticking disc brakes is if the wheel itself is too hot after driving.

Jimmy

Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
You could have a poor alignment it happens way more than it should very common problem.

I have had two poorly done alignments over the years and so have many of my friends one was so bad as to constantly pull to one side took it back they claimed it was perfect wouldn’t fix it so I took it to another shop and it was so out they couldn’t believe another shop did the job.

It happens

Other could be something is Bent
Well, I got a 3 year alignment at NTB...and i used it probably every 6 months. The printout always showed my alignment was off a little when I brought it in, and was right when i left. Might try the old scool DIY alignment and see where i stand...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If they are sticking usually the rotor will show signs of discoloration usually they look bluish black and you can smell the hot rotor after a good drive.

You say this has been going on for some time so those rotors should show the discoloration if not it’s a bad alignment job or something is bent

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 01-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulls Left?