2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

please help with idle problem..i guess!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 PM
beatnbronco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with idle problem..i guess!

i've got a 2001 dakota with 4.7L v8/auto transmission. About a year ago I took my truck to a repair shop cuz of a stalling problem, the repair shop told me it was the fuel pump, so i had them change it out for me. Ever since the fuel pump was changed my truck won't idle right. After i start it, it will idle for about 15-20 seconds then it'll start acting like it's going to shut off and the exhaust smells stronger, a quick flick of the ignition switch from off to on then it starts over, it'll do this about 5 times till my truck will idle and run right. It's been a thorn in my side for the past year and i wasn't able to take my truck back to them to have it looked at because i own a plumbing business and just don't have the time. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? The check engine light never comes on even when it starts running bad. Thanks in advance for any and all help. If it helps i will get a vid of it happening.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem similar to this but I have a manual transmission. My truck would idle kind of rough when I'd start it and then when I was driving if I'd push the clutch in and come to stop my rpms would bounce around between 400-800 and sometimes go low enough to cause the truck to shut off. All I did is replace the IAC valve (idle air control) on the throttle body. It was about $70 if I remember correctly. Also when I did this I removed the throttle body and cleaned it really good. It was full of black soot and my truck only had 60k on it at the time. Thats where I would start.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't, clean the throttle body. It may not be the IAC, the passages do get pretty clogged up with carbon.

You have to remove it from the truck to do a thorough job but it isn't hard. Just spraying it won't work.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
beatnbronco

thanks fellas, i'll give it a try tomorrow while the kids are driving the wife crazy

Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
tinmanchris
Amateur

When you're cleaning out the throttle body, try cleaning out the IAC prior to purchasing a new one.

Quick Reply: please help with idle problem..i guess!