2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Alingment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
mwjohn2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alingment Specs

I have a question about my 2001 4WD V6 Dakota Sport. I am wondering if anyone knows what the ride height is suposed to be set at and where you take the measurement? There is a frame tang just behind the front axel on both sides. I assume a frame tie down for shipping. I checked there and got 2 different readings. I have pointed this out to the place where I get alingment and asked them to adjust torsion bars so they at least match. It is not a Dodge dealer. It has 62,000 and I have been told everything is tight. It is used to and from work on paved roads and has not been abused. I get excellent tire wear but on the highway it is a handfull when turning right. The rack has been replaced due to a leak. I have new Gabriel shocks. I have rotated the tires and the trouble does not move.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I found this in the factory service manual:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - HEIGHT MEASUREMENT 4WD
The vehicle suspension height must be measured and adjusted if necessary before performing wheel alignment on a 4x4 vehicle. Also when front suspension components have be replaced. This measure must be performed with the vehicle supporting it’s
own weight and taken on both sides of the vehicle.
(1) Inspect tires for the correct size and air pressure.
(2) Jounce the front of the vehicle.
(3) Measure and record the distance between the ground and the center of the lower suspension arm rear mounting bolt head (Fig. 3).
(4) Measure and record the distance between the
ground and the center of the front wheel.
(5) Subtract the first measurement from the second measurement. The difference between the two measurement should be 47 mm (1.85 inches) 3.25 mm (0.125 inches).

You can download the '01 manual from this link:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

It also tells you how to adjust it.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
mwjohn2

Thank you, I am going to set it and then take it in for alingment.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Inspector1

My 01 sits a bit low on the pass side. If I adjust the torsion bar on that side to level the truck side to side will I have to get it realigned?
Denny

Quick Reply: Alingment Specs