2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new dodge dakota. hey yall!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 PM
JohnnyLafazia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new dodge dakota. hey yall!!

Hey everyone I have a couple questions that may have been answered, I'm just going to ask them here since I'm introducing myself too. I just picked up a Dodge Dakota for 2500 today. It's a 98 v8 318 Auto 4x4 and I'm happy p have my first truck. I had a 98 eclipse that I built before this so I know a little in the engine area.
First question is ad I drove it for a test ride. ( 3 or 4 separate rides) it was fine. Once I got home I turn it off and go to restart it. It clicked and seemed as if the battery was dead. Did this a few times and finally worked. It wouldn't even turn the starter, it made a click sound and that was it and radio died along with everything power wise. Bad connection or terminal?

Another is what should oil pressure be on it? The entire ride time it hits about a little under 40 paid for oil pressure. If I lay on it it almost hits 40. Is this normal for the truck?
It sounds like it runs fine and doesn't hit 210 temp wise.
I have a hole in my muffler. Actually a huge hole so I need a new one there. Lid for center console is missing and tailgate is misaing The wires to hold it from hitting bumper.

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and building with yall! (:

Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
JohnnyLafazia

Update sorry my auto correct changed a lot including psi to paid.**
And when I turn the key to acc battery volt goes to about 12-13 so I feel like the battery is healthy.
Let me know. Thanks guys (:

Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have a bad connection. Clean the battery terminals and make sure they are on tight. The cables themselves can also corrode, under the insulation. Try wiggling them next time you have a problem. It could also be a bad battery, it may have the volts but no amps to back it up. Most parts stores will load test them free.

Don't worry to much about what the dash says for oil pressure. If you really want to know what it is use a mechanical gauge. The dash gauges are fairly inaccurate. Basically, if it stays in the range where it usually is you're good. If it starts going out of the range, start looking at things. It will rise/fall as rpm's change, that's normal.

A boneyard should have your console cover. Snag a set of tailgate cables while you're in there - one stop shopping!

Enjoy the new ride.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:41 PM
JohnnyLafazia

That's was my plan at the junkyard! Haha and OK sounds good. Thanks buddy!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
JohnnyLafazia

Just noticed a big oil leak from being the pan. It's a decent size puddle. It is in front of the size that the plug is on.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Try again, without the autocorrect

Where is the leak?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 PM
JohnnyLafazia

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Try again, without the autocorrect

Where is the leak?
I read online and what I come up with is the rear main seal. It's coming from that location at least and I'm at 158k. they say it happens around that mileage too.
and I can get a glasspack cheap for my exhaust trouble fix that problem also. I'm happy again. (: haha

Quick Reply: new dodge dakota. hey yall!!