2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota rear passenger window problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Sweetcheeksss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dakota rear passenger window problem!!!

Hello everyone! I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 2002 Dakota, 4 door. The problem I'm having is that the back passenger window will NOT go down.

From the driver's door I can control:
1) Front driver's window (works from driver's side)
2) Front passenger window (only works from driver's side)
3) Rear driver's side window (only works from driver's side)
4) Rear passenger's window (doesn't work at all)

I took it to my local garage, they thought maybe it was the switch or the window gear thingie that puts the window up and down - it wasn't. I took it to a local stereo shop, they traced the wiring and said there is NO power getting to that back passenger door.

So I was hoping the experts here might know what I should do next. My hubby just deployed and I really don't have the funds to take it to the Dodge dealership.

Thank you so much in advance for any help y'all can give.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

A very common problem is the drivers door switch module failing. Did the stereo shop check to see if there's power there?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about power door locks in that door. Do they still work?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Sweetcheeksss

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
A very common problem is the drivers door switch module failing. Did the stereo shop check to see if there's power there?
Sorry to sound ignorant - do you mean the panel on the driver's side door that has all the window's controls on it? If that's what you mean, then I can tell you that I can control all the windows from there except that back passenger one.

When I went to pick the truck up, the guy that tested the wiring just told me "There's no power getting to that back door. None."

Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Sweetcheeksss

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
What about power door locks in that door. Do they still work?
Yes, when I push the "door lock" from the driver's side (sorry can't remember exactly what it's called) all FOUR doors lock.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The door locks are a separate system from the windows.

Yes, the panel with the window controls. That one panel feeds all the other windows. It sounds as if the "lock out" feature is enabled - since you can't work the windows from their own switches.

Do you know what the stereo shop tested exactly?

From what I see, since the other window switches aren't working, it seems as if the module has failed. If you want we can try to walk you through testing it yourself. You'll need some tools and a meter.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Sweetcheeksss

First of all - thank you sooo much for all your help!
Secondly, even if you walked me through it, I doubt I'd be able to fix it. I'm definitely going to print this thread out and bring it with me to the original garage I took the truck to in the first place.

Thirdly - just in case I wasn't clear enough before.....the driver's window, the front passenger window and the rear driver's side window all go up and down but ONLY from the driver's door panel. None of the windows switches work EXCEPT the driver's door (there I can control the other windows). The REAR PASSENGER window doesn't work at all. Won't go up and down from the driver's side and won't go up and down from the rear passenger switch. And NONE of the window up/down buttons work from any of the doors (except the driver's side panel that's on the armrest)

I've tried locking/unlocking the window button (located on the driver's side arm rest area) but it doesn't' change anything.

Sorry to be repetitive, I just want to make sure I'm being completely clear with all the facts.

Last edited by Sweetcheeksss; 05-02-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I got that. It is very likely that at least ONE of the problems, the windows only working from the drivers door, is caused by that drivers door switch module. It MAY be the cause of the other.

That's what I'd start with.

I'm attaching a copy of the switch wiring diagram. Maybe it'll help.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 07-23-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Sweetcheeksss

Thanks so much for everything. I printed it all out and will take it to the mechanic & see what he can figure out.

Quick Reply: 2002 dakota rear passenger window problem!!!