2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

water issue!!! help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 PM
draggingframe13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water issue!!! help please!!!

Hey guys. I have a 98 dakota sport xcab. Whenever it rains I got a huge puddle on the driver side floor and just a little bit on the passenger floor. I will be putting the elbow on the ac drain hose tomorrow but I know that is not the problem due to it leaking when the ac isnt even on. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Leaky windshield. It's a common problem especially if it has ever been replaced.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be coming from the front window,doors,or rear window. Best thing to do is take the carpet out and dry the whole truck out then climb inside and have someone spray the whole truck down while you look at the areas. My rear window happened to start leaking after my accident.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM
draggingframe13

Thanks guys. Anyone else have any insight as to what the problem could be?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

they covered it, you have a bad seal around a window(s) or the weather stripping is not sealing correctly someplace. like they have said before me, pull the interior, and sit in the vehicle while someone pours water on it, that's about the easiest way to find out where the leak is.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
kjclark1974

Likely it is the door seals. I had a 1996 Stratus that had leaking door seals. One weekend I was sick as a dog with a virus. It rained all weekend long, except for Sunday afternoon when it got up to near 100 degrees in the South GA heat. Monday morning I open the door and nearly puked! The door seals were leaking and had flooded the passenger side floor of the car. The heat Sunday made it sour..... Can you say GROSS!!!! It was under warranty and the dealer replaced the seals at no charge. If you're only getting it in the floor and you're pretty sure it's not the AC (isn't all that stuff mostly on the passenger side, anyways?), then you probably have bad door seals. Now, I'm calling door seals that plastic lining inside the door panel that directs water to flow outside of your car when it rains rather than inside of your car, which is what the local Dodge dealership called them. Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM
draggingframe13

Your saying that it could be the plastic lining thats behind the door panel?? Sounds weird, never heard of that. Was told that it could possibly be the door moulding that goes around the door. Thanks

Originally Posted by kjclark1974
Likely it is the door seals. I had a 1996 Stratus that had leaking door seals. One weekend I was sick as a dog with a virus. It rained all weekend long, except for Sunday afternoon when it got up to near 100 degrees in the South GA heat. Monday morning I open the door and nearly puked! The door seals were leaking and had flooded the passenger side floor of the car. The heat Sunday made it sour..... Can you say GROSS!!!! It was under warranty and the dealer replaced the seals at no charge. If you're only getting it in the floor and you're pretty sure it's not the AC (isn't all that stuff mostly on the passenger side, anyways?), then you probably have bad door seals. Now, I'm calling door seals that plastic lining inside the door panel that directs water to flow outside of your car when it rains rather than inside of your car, which is what the local Dodge dealership called them. Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

I assume he is talking about the rubber weather striping. That's where I would start they rot away, wear away, and get damaged all the time. just check it for dry rot, splitting, cuts, ect.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 AM
vwpassion

On Dakotas, the problem is common. Most likely the windshield seal or the rear window seal. Water settles to the lowest point, which is usually the front floors. There is also a drain on under the hood on the passenger side back towards the windshield that can get clogged with leaves and pine needles over time. Keep in mind the year of your vehicle which is over 15 years now. Seals wear and crack over time. Check under the back seat under the tool box or if there is condensation in the tool box. If so, it's probably the rear window. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: water issue!!! help please!!!