2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

slave cylinder issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually the factory assembly is not one piece. and dodge no longer makes this set up for our vehicles. I called every dodge dealer in NY PA and NJ they all told me that it is a discontinued part.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

rockauto.com they have them and yes one piece you just need to understand how to install it correctly that's all read the service manual there is a correct way and the wrong way to do it.

They will last as long as your new clutch job and that's perfect as you should replace it every clutch job like the Clutch Release Bearing.

We are talking every 6 to 8 years depending on how you drive the car

Some info for ya

This fully bled system includes a master cylinder and slave cylinder, connected by the hydraulic line. No additional components are required.

Application:
This system is designed for applications that typically include a pedal pulsation damper, but usually don’t include a conventional bleed screw. The design of these components makes conventional bleeding difficult and time consuming.

Advantages:
· Late model hydraulic systems require a variety of complex bleed procedures. Obtaining this information is challenging, and properly bleeding these systems is even more difficult. The bleed procedure on a dry system can take an hour or more.

· If the built-in pedal pulsation damper becomes contaminated, the system becomes nearly impossible to bleed. In addition, it is especially difficult to remove air from the damper. The pre-filled system eliminates these difficulties.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

yes rock auto has them in one piece but they did NOT come off the lot with a one piece set up. and DODGE themselves do NOT offer the part anymore it's no longer made by DODGE. did you miss that the last time I said it? and further more I can install it correctly no problem if I had bought that set up but I replaced my set up one piece at a time.

Last edited by BlackTrim211; 07-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went through this I remember reading a bunch of threads about how it's near impossible to bleed it if you just replace the slave. I got the set up from a mopar site I guess before it was discontinued but they still make them to that spec. You are right it is the clutch master, resevoir and hard line to the trans as one piece and then once you have the slave in the trans you plug in the gold connector and you're done. The biggest bitch was snaking the hard line down through the engine bay between the fire wall and engine. If the garage can't fix it this may be your only option. Here is a part that looks exactly like the one I got from Mopar. http://www.1aauto.com/1A/clutch-mast...FRFp7AodVEgAqA

Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM
eboula24
Amateur

Finally got truck back from shop. They ended up having to bench bleed the whole system after having tried the standard method. Air was trapped in the masterwhich was why I couldn't get it bled thru the bleeder valve on the slave. Now onto front springs and plenum gasket!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

I bet that saved you a ton of money!

As I said the one piece system is best for DIY applications their is a reason its a one piece assembly in the first place.

Bleeding a pieced together system amounts to big problems

Well now its over good luck

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

again it's not a one piece set up when you bought the trucks brand new.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Maybe yours wasn't but my 98 was a non bleeding setup one piece and that's the replacement its even in the service manual for my truck how to replace it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

mine was non bleeding but it was not one piece it is two. and i'll put money on it if you call dodge they'll tell you the same thing

Quick Reply: slave cylinder issue