2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 Dakota crate engine(?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Hanneman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Complete engine rebuild is being done as I write this. Parts & labor will be about $3,200.

While the engine is out, I'm also having the clutch replaced & fly surfaced, still on the original w/ 180k mi on it.

Also still on original suspension, so having the bushings replaced...maybe the shocks, too.

Once done, going to update the exhaust with some Flowmasters.

Any other thoughts or advice? Best shocks?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Hanneman
Update:

Complete engine rebuild is being done as I write this. Parts & labor will be about $3,200.

While the engine is out, I'm also having the clutch replaced & fly surfaced, still on the original w/ 180k mi on it.

Any other thoughts or advice? Best shocks?
New water pump? Definitely a new radiator. Be sure they paint the engine and metal work--for that kind of money it should be clean and shiny.

Maybe they can check the distributor for play, and while they have it out, a new dist. o-ring. New motor mounts, of course.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

New ball joints, drive shaft u joints. PLENUM GASKET FIX

Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to the plenum. At least have it replaced with the metal gasket, or, what I would do, is get the Hughes plenum plate and have it swapped out completely.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Hanneman
Amateur

Okay, unfamiliar with the Plenum. Please ellaborate.

Yes on water pump and painting the engine is indeed included in the cost. I am still on the original radiator, so perhaps I will consider replacing.

Also on original shocks...preferences?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I've been working on a 98 5.2 lately. It looks to me like, at least on the V8, Chrysler upgraded the valley pan to a better quality (thicker) steel. I already had an aluminum plate valley pan, so it's gonna go in. Installation is to get the plenum almost surgically clean, then use a new gasket and RTV to insure a permanent and tight seal.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Hanneman
Okay, unfamiliar with the Plenum. Please elaborate.
Probably your mechanic is, too. The plenum is the intake manifold. Under where the throttle body (on the underside of the plenum) is a metal valley pan which is supposed to seal the bottom of the intake galleys from the rest of the engine. Chrysler, in their infinite bean counting wisdom, used cheap, thin sheet metal for this pan and with age and heat cycles, it starts to leak. The vacuum in the intake sucks in oil (as sign that the valley pan's been leaking) and because there's a vacuum leak, the engine starts to progressively run poorly. It may be so gradual that you don't notice it, but you'd notice it if it needed fixing and it got fixed.

I think Chrysler fixed the problem in later models, see my previous post. But as part of the rebuild, I would at least have the valley pan resealed.

As far as replacing the engine mounts and the radiator, these are no brainers--you are paying for the labor to reinstall these parts anyhow, so your cost is just the price of the parts.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Hanneman
Amateur

I'm having a very reputable machine shop build the engine, not a true rebuild of mine. I will swap out once completed. I have to believe this machine shop will use a quality gasket. Ill get reimbursed for the core charge once they receive my engine.

Separately paying a mechanic to do the engine swap.
I'll inquire about the motor mounts and radiator...I have the cash, so sounds like I may as well pull the trigger.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Hanneman; 07-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Hanneman
Amateur

These are the folks taking care of the engine, FYI.

http://portlandenginerebuilders.com/index2.html

Quick Reply: 99 Dakota crate engine(?)