2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No air at vents. Air IS at feet and defrost.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM
majesticgriffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face No air at vents. Air IS at feet and defrost.

I just purchased a 98 Dakota. The AC does work but I can not get air to come out at vents. I can change it to blow out at my feet and I can get air out the defrost at the windshield. My first thought is that the blend door is malfunctioned or the actuator for the blend door is bad. After scouring these forums I am wondering if the problems isnt a "mode" door instead. Ive been trying to find pics or at least diagrams for the locations of all actuators and doors but I havent found any. I do know where the recirc door and actuator is at. Its on the passenger side right next to the blower motor. I have checked the door and actuator and they both work just fine. I visually saw the rod attached to the door move when I changed settings on the climate control *****. Like everyone else here any help would be appreciated. I want to check the remaining doors and actuators but I dont know where to look. If I can get my issue fixed I will most definately post my fix with pics here to help future members with their headaches concering this problem. Thank you everyone in advance!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
majesticgriffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that when I select vents I do hear the air trying to change route and then a faint whomp as if the door did change positions but no air is felt at the vent outlets. Maybe a clogged tubed? i dunno, I am stumped.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

umm 98 dakota is a 2nd generation dakota, this is the first generation durango section, while the trucks are very similar you should be posting in the dakota section, i will move this thread for you

Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if it's the same, but I had an issue like that with my 2003. Had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced and the mechanic accidentally pulled the little vacuum line off under the hood. Was hard to find, had to reach my arm all around up under the airbox housing that is right by firewall. Found a little vacuum line loose, felt around some more and found where it went. Got cold a/c out of the main vents again.

Hope this makes sense and helps. Freaked me out when I went through it in the middle of a TX summer, but I got it fixed

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There are 4 doors.

1. The blend door, cable controlled for temperature
2. A panel/defrost actuator
3. A floor/defrost actuator
4. A recirc actuator

By default, if the system has no vacuum air will come out the defrost.

In order to access these other actuators you'd have to remove the plenum. Make sure they are getting the proper vacuum. If you do a search you'll find lots of information on this forum. 98Dakaz has a link to pictures of his '98.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

LINK just click on my sig below

Quick Reply: No air at vents. Air IS at feet and defrost.