2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Huge Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Put the front on jack stands and check out your ball joints do the pull push rock test and see what joints need replacing you may be lucky and only need the top joints replaced they are easy.

Best is have a friend do the pull push rocking thing as you look at them

If all look a bit lose you could still just replace the top and that would buy yourself a few years make sure to check the tie rod end joints also.

Just replacing the top will tighten things up and give the bottom joints a few more years but make sure the tie rod end joints are tight also.

Rear brakes are very easy and cheap

Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 PM
denniseri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys -

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine. He asked me why the heck am I doing both heads if I know that only one side is leaking. He explained that the risks far outweigh the benefits- If I know only one side is leaking than I should repair that side and leave the other alone.

I have read a ton of arguments out on the WWW about this issue. What do ya'll think? Replace the single head gasket that is leaking and call it good... or, replace both?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What "risks?"

I can see risks if you don't.

Basically, it isn't much harder to pull both heads, once you've got everything else taken off. Whatever caused one head to leak (overheat maybe) may have warped the other. Do you really want to have to go through this again in a few miles.

Besides, you'll have a fresh top end and no worries on it.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
denniseri

He cited the following risks.

1) With the new head bolts that I have I still will never duplicate the factory installed pressure and tension placed on the original bolts.

2) By only replacing one head gasket you reduce the risk of throwing your timing out of whack. He said that in order to do both heads I have to remove the timing cover but if I only have to do one - I can leave the timing cover on.

3) More work being done results in more potential for problems later. He gave me the 'ol if it aint broke, don't fix it speech.

This 'friend' of mine is actually a family friend that drags a '68 charger... He's familiar with Chrysler / mopar and hemi designs... He was proud that i was doing this myself but pissed that i was taking on more than i needed to.

Honestly, it was tough arguing with him but like 00DakDan - I said, "why not, why not just get both done and rest easy knowing they are done." He just laughed and said, "son, do what you want - but don't say I didn't warn you".

Last edited by denniseri; 07-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I mean you always run the risk of it failing 6 months later, but you also run the risk of something not getting repaired properly since you're doing more. I can see his logic. The more stuff you start doing, the deeper you get into it, the more chance there is something could happen. I haven't heard of a lot of head gasket issues w/ the 4.7, so I don't see a big deal in not doing the other side...

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I guess I'm confused by your prior responses as to what you want to do to the truck.

What cylinder(s) is leaking?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
denniseri

Confused? Hmm...

My original issue was trying to figure out whether I should fix this problem or scrap the truck. After obtaining 3 quotes for repairs and 2 more from machinists on resurfacing I figured I would save the truck - and do the work myself and save a bunch of money. Granted - The machine work, if needed, would be done by a shop but that sounds like it'll be $40 a head for a quality job.

I started this thread with my scenario... On one hand I can repair the truck. On the other hand I can scrap it.

I then laid out the issues... Truck needs work which mechanics were quoting $2,500~$5,000 to complete. So I asked the next logical question - Is this amount of money worth it.

I also explored the idea of a new engine as the quotes for repair were exceeding installation of a new rebuilt. I also asked about swapping out the 4.7L but 00DakDan noted it wasn't wise (despite some others that have had success) so I took the advice and moved on.

After a bit of back and forth - I decided to do the work myself and save a bit of money and decided that if I can save the money - the truck is worth it. Granted, I was confused for a bit that nobody pushed me toward performance aftermarket parts but after a bit of research I realized there wasn't much I could do 'on the cheap'.

So - as I start this process and begun the take-down... I get a return call from a friend and I explain my plan... He laughs, asks who planted this crazy idea (to not only fix problem but to replace both head gaskets, have them machined and be done with it)... He told me to just fix the one head and forget about messing with the other.

Cylinder 6 is leaking. Cylinder 8 has low pressure but doesn't appear to have a full leak - not sure the issue there but I'll soon find out.

So again - where is your confusion coming in. I'm not sure I follow.

Last edited by denniseri; 07-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, confused.

You went from a rebuilt engine to a repair. I understand that. Then, yes, you wanted "performance" parts. To me that implied you wanted to "freshen" the engine a bit.

There is nothing wrong with just changing the one side. There is also nothing wrong with doing both heads and "freshening" the entire upper end at 118k. It all depends upon your budget (time and money).

Odds are it'll last another 100k either way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That's what we're here for.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM
denniseri

00DakDan - I appreciate you replying to my posts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Huge Dilemma