2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad rumble in right front

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The FlyerFly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad rumble in right front

I have a 03 Dakota 4x4 that is rumbling badly from the right front. The rumbling increases and gets louder steadily with speed, transfers slightly through the steering column, and goes away when turning right and taking the weight off the right front tire. It is also doing this when in 2WD. I have replaced the bearing hub assembly but that didnt fix it. I have also pulled out the CV axle, but am unable to tell if this is the problem. I'm also not finding any worn bushings or ball joints, or at least not enough wear to justify this horrid sound.

It is my understanding that a worn CV will produce a clicking noise when turning. I havent noticed this at all, yet I can't imagine what other moving parts could be causing this rumbling. I have also taken a look at the spline on the differential, and other than the normal tiny bit of movement, it looks fine.

Suggestions? I am leaning toward replacing the CV axle, but the boots are intact and I have already dropped $96 on a part I didnt need, so I'm being cautious.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
jpayne80
Professional

Wow. It sounds exactly like a bad front right hub bearing, but if you replaced it already then I am not sure. How does that tire look?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
The FlyerFly

Tire looks good. Wear is even, and there is decent tread.

The noise coming from this sounds like a lot more than bad wear or balance. Its a mechanical rumble and buzz you can feel. Also, the rumble seemed to worsen quickly.

Last edited by The FlyerFly; 07-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

On mine, just like you, when I turned right it got quiet.

It was the left front, drivers side, hub that was bad. Odds are if one is bad, the other isn't long either.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM
The FlyerFly

Odd. Ive never really heard of a bearing getting quieter when applying weight. Of course, Im no pro auto mechanic either, but Im an industrial mechanic by trade.

Gonna keep that in mind though. Like jpayne80 said, its sounds an awful lot like a bearing hub...maybe just the other side this time. Also, I had a tire wear bad to the inside recently on the driver's front, but I attributed that to the ball joints that have since been repaired. Maybe it was a double-banger.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

When the weight shifts it loads the bearing.

I've heard of it happening either way.

Quick Reply: Bad rumble in right front