2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I am lost...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am lost...

Hey guys, I am back!
Had to sell my durango to get a more fuel effecient rig...but really missed having a V8 so I got a 98 dakota. Great rig and love it but now I am having problems that are really throwing me off.
Rig: 98 Dakota, NV3500, 5.2L, 4x4. 133K
Was having problems starting about 4 days ago, would do the famous single loud Click and then no start. Fuel pump primes, spark plugs are clean, autozone tested and said the starter, batter, and Alt all passed with flying colors...

Knowing about the crappy terminals I pulled them and replaced them and wire brushed the batter posts. Nothing...same click and no start.
So I pulled the connecters on the starter and wire brushed them and the posts on the starter, Reconnected and tried again. Still nothing.
Finnally pulled the ground right by the battery (runs right off the battery to a bolt sticking out of the fender). Scrubbed it down and connected...still nothing.
Then pulled the two conneters running into the fuse box (connect directly to the Alt relay) did the same thing and reconnected and still nothing.
Finally pulled and checked every fuse...All checked out.
So now I am lost...Can anyone point me in a new direction? Ran perfect days ago, then all of a sudden nothing so I know it has to be a bad connection somewhere right?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the battery voltage while cranking? Use an ohmmeter, not the dash gauge.

What's the voltage drop on the starter while cranking? Measure from the battery post to the starter terminal while cranking.

I don't suppose you have a way to measure the starter current draw.

Cables can fail internally.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

My guess starter solenoid but I don't think you can just get the solenoid you must get a starter around $100

Old trick don't know if it still works but bang on the solenoid a few times see if it kicks in if not whack it harder

That used to wok in the old days

Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Cant say I have a way to test all the different power draws at different times, but according to both autozone and now the local Mechanic I go to everything is in the green.
I gave the starter a good wack and it started so I ran it for a few minutes then parked and tried to do it again and it did the same thing...
I have been reading about doing a rebuild and replacing the solenoid posts/plunger. For $15 and 1/2 an hour I might do it and see if it helps.
Also, I checked the wires all the way around and they are all good with no cracks or frays at all.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

Sounds like starter has a bad spot. Sometimes it will start fine then all of a sudden it would act up. That's because its in that bad spot and hitting it or every time you try to start it moves a little until it has a good spot and shots off. It will seem like a bad battery but its the starter. Turn youf headlights on &just if they are bright the battery is good. A bad battery, low or almost dead, will have a dim or dimmer light ghen normal.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Dber

I once had a cracked flex plate that made a loud clicking sound when cranking over.
It was almost cracked completely all the way around.
Listen to where the clicking sound is actually comming from.
Then investigate the parts associated with the sound...
As another poster suggested ... try another starter and take a look at the ring gear
teeth thru the mounting hole where the starter goes..See if you have any badly worn teeth in that particular spot.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

So a bit of bad news, I guess the old hitting it with a hammer trick only works one time.
Tried it again today with no start. You can feel the starter "click" when you try to start it. I had my hand on it while my wife tried to start her up and you can actually feel it hit.
So I thought I would just swap it out no worries but I can not get this thing to come off to save my life. Got the bottom nut off easy as cake but the top one is a no go. Not even with PB, hitting it, nothing. Don't have a torch or power tools so its off to the shop tomorrow! Get to pay someone $50 to swap out the starter not including parts...

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Ha ha it was meant as a quick test to see if it was the starter or its solenoid that's all not to whack it every day

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

So JK on paying someone to pull it and replace. Come to find out I can rent a breaker bar from autozone so Between me and my friend we will get it out and replace the copper contacts and see what that does. Can get them for about $5 so here's to hope'n!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Dber

Sometimes as the other poster already suggested the starter bearings are
worn to such an extent that it will cause the starter to drag...sometimes referred to as a flat spot.
That means that on the inside of your starter the part that rotates is rubbing against the outer stationary part.
This will draw so much power that it won't have enough left to turn the starter. Sometimes by tapping on the starter you cause enough of a movement for the starter to come free of the bad spot and it may turn over.
There are also brushes inside the starter which may be worn and dirty and the tapping could cause them to momentarily make enough contact for the starter to work.
The other problem could be the solonoid itself. The contacts could be worn, burnt, or dirty and would need replacing.

A starter is only supposed to draw a certain number of amps from your battery when turning the engine over . If the draw exceeds the recommended amount of amps then there is a problem within your starter.
It appears your best bet would be another starter that you know is good.

Quick Reply: I am lost...