2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

quick repair truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick repair truck

So when I bought my truck back in mid April, I noticed some play in the wheel on the test drive. I looked the truck over found three spots of rust on the truck, the fender corners near the head lights where just about gone on the outside and where gone underneath. And a two inch spot on my passenger side rocker panel. It also needed a E brake cable. Well after the accident and having to order other parts the time has come to tackle the repairs. The e brake cables have all been replaced. But I shall get pictures of the rest of the repairs and post them in this thread. I ordered my steering shaft from rock auto along with my clutch kit. The steering shaft has come in and I'm still waiting on the clutch kit. In the next few weeks I'll order the new fenders.

Tomorrow when I wake up depending on the weather and how I feel I will be doing the steering shaft and giving the truck a full tune up. I'll get pictures of the steering shaft and post them.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

I stand corrected the clutch kit came in in the past few days while I was out of town... I think I broke my toe on it going to get a drink....

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

Alright some what productive day on the truck. Full tune up done, Mounted the fog lights and set bumper back on truck. Steering shaft is disconnected, and will be replaced tomorrow. (Weather pending.) Exhaust is almost out of the way then it's time to drop the drive shaft and then move the tranny back. I'll post pictures tomorrow or the day after.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Are you just staying stock with the exhaust? Or upgrading while it is out?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

for now i'm staying stock. as of today with a trip of my local junk yard I have a new passenger fender, my headlight is back together and installed, as is my over flow tank, all I have left to do really is ither patch my driver fender together or get a different one, do my clutch kit and put it all back together.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

How much play did you have in the steering wheel and did just replacing the steering shaft get rid of it? I have about 5 to 10 degrees of play and have been trying to figure out what will get rid of it

Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

the universal in my steering shaft was shot, before the accident it wasn't too terrible, after the accident it was horrible. pop your hood grab your shaft and wiggle it, if it moves more then you feel it should then replace it, you can jack up your truck, pull the tire and inner plastic fender off and see the steering shaft i'll be posting pics of my old one soon, there are four bolts in total, one by your steering box / rack pinon, one under the steering wheel, and two nuts on the fire wall that hold a gasket with rod bareings in it, it's rather simple to replace if you have away to cut the old one in half, and the new one doesn't get jammed so that it's two inch's too short, i'm currently dealing with that issue as of now. I've got to get mine to extend.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

Why did it end up being two inches short?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

according to rockauto.com who I ordered the part from and called about the issue who then in turn called the product producer, when it's shipped it gets pushed in and locks in place so you have to get it to free up. I've got it connected down bottom with the new boot in place and the nuts just barely holding it on due to rain I have been unable to work on it. good news is I need to buy two more parts, some paint, primer and clear coat, and then it's just putting her back together.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

Awesome! I'd definitely like to see those pictures once they're up, and hear how much it reduced the play in your steering once it's finished

Quick Reply: quick repair truck