2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Door lock cylinder replacement on 2000 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock cylinder replacement on 2000 Dakota

I recently had to have the passenger side door replaced due to a run-in with Row 11 parking lot pole at Walmart. School bus yellow just didn't work on my red Dakota Sport! I have to hand it to the guys at Maaco. They did a great job! The door fits snug, the paint has a 5 year guarantee and my clear coat isn't peeling like a bad sunburn anymore. One thing they did not do was to put the old lock cylinder into the door but I do have the part. The service manual shows a special tool to remove the window crank in order to remove the front door trim panel. Anyone have an idea on using something else to safely pry the crank?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not sure your year is the same as my 98 but just a hook tool works for me. Reach under with the hook hook it and pull out the C-clip just don't lose it in the grass or something because that clip can fly.

Its done by feel you cant see a thing

Oh and be careful that hook can rip fingers with ease

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM
rickself
Veteran

I was thinking of maybe something that I may have access to.
This is what the service manual shows:

Last edited by rickself; 01-08-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy the window crank tool in the service manual pic at any parts store. All you do is slip the end of it between the back side of the window crank handle and the front side of the plastic trim piece behind the handle. With the tool in place, turn the crank slowly while watching for the retainer clip to pop loose. You may even feel it pop free and when it does keep an eye out because it is under tension from being snapped on the window crank and the clip can fly out someplace where you will never find it. If you are lucky the tool will pop the clip loose but it will stay attached to the groove on the back side of the window crank handle. If you lose the clip, no parts store sells the Dodge style clips but you may find some GM/Ford style clips in the "Help" section at the parts store. A GM style clip will work on a Dodge window crank, I have had a GM clip on my passenger window crank for years. It has been removed and put back on probably a dozen times over the years and still is working fine. You may need to bend or tweak it a bit but it will work.

Jimmy

Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Yes that's the same for my 98 but the hook works great for me just a bit of fishing that's all.

What you don't like fishing?

Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs down One use tools suck in my book

Just remember the hook can be used for many things/jobs but the special door tool has only one use then toss in the tool box.

These are found in every hardware or automotive store and have a thousand uses and usually come with three or more different picks and hooks.

One use tools suck in my book

Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 PM
rickself
Veteran

I'm thinking I will attempt this with the door CLOSED. Hopefully that will keep the clip in an area I can find the darn thing.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

That will be impossible to remove with the door closed

After that to get it back on all you do is snap the C clip on the crank align it up how it is supposed to be and push it back on a good pop with your hand may be needed.

Remember to notice how the crank is aligned with the window all the way up before you remove it.

Doing it inside your garage may be the safest to not lose that clip.

Have a strong flashlight handy to look for it you may need it.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The clips don't always pop loose and fly off never to be seen again. You should not need to remove the handle with the door closed, that would be a royal pain because there is not enough room to operate the clip remover tool with the door closed.. The trick is to insert the tool between the crank handle and the plastic disc behind it and turn the crank handle SLOWLY with one hand while holding the other end of the tool with your other hand. Most of the time it will pop the clip loose but keep it stuck in the groove on the stub on the back of the window crank handle. You should be able to feel it when the clip is loose and you can remove the handle. You can also look between the plastic disc and back side of the handle and see the clip when it works its way loose.

Jimmy

Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Remember to notice how the crank is aligned with the window all the way up before you remove it.
Going to attempt this today.
The service manual says to roll the window down. Are you saying to pay attention to the alignment of the crank when the window is up before rolling the window down?
Here's my method of attack:
1.) Remove window crank.
2.) Remove screws at bottom of door trim and behind inner door handle and on pillar.
3.) Lift door trim upward and outward to release retainer steps from inner door panel.

Okay, got this far. I opted to buy the set of 4 hooks. Still cannot get clip, however did poke a hole in my finger! I may opt for the $5 special use one time crank removal tool.

Last edited by rickself; 08-18-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Some progress

Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder replacement on 2000 Dakota