2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 4.7L quad cab stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Anthony Lepri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 4.7L quad cab stalling issue

Hey everyone. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L quad cab. I bought the truck about a year and a half ago. Ive only driven it for about a half a year now because my brother and I ( who are decently mechanically inclined.) Ive come to post on this forum because we are stuck chasing our tails trying to fix the truck. The truck ran great when I first got it no problems. The exhaust manifolds started leaking so I had a buddy of mine who owns a shop put new/used manifolds in. but prior to changing the manifolds a stalling issue occurred. my truck was throwing a code for both the crank and cam shaft sensors. which I had replaced them both. the truck still runs and starts and idles good even now a year and a half later. it has all new sensors in it I had even bought a new pcm because there was power steering fluid inside the connectors. So I thought it was the pcm. for the past month my brother and I have been multimetering every wire that is run through pcm. I have also replaced the bcm because it was having problems witht the lights flickering. The bcm fixed my light issue but now my door locks will not work. every sensor that comes from the pcm checks out perfect as do the all the connectors going to the crank and cam shaft sensors. It will start and idle fine but as soon as I put it in drive it stalls and will not start back up until it cools down. it will idle fine for hours but the second I put it in drive the problem occurs. I have put 2 new sensors from the dealership in because the autocraft ones I got from autozone I read on here are junk. and a new programmed pcm into the truck. We are stuck at what to look into next. If anyone has ever heard of this problem or has an idea on how to go about fixing it any help would be greatly appreciated I just want to drive my truck bad. I was contemplating on bringing it to a dealer but this is not an options because I cannot afford to pay for them to fix it all at once.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

If you bring the RPM's up then go into drive, will it stay? When my crank sensor went south, the only way I got it to run under load was to put it at 2,000 then drop it into gear and keep the RPM's up.

So you replaced the PCM and CTM, as long as the wiring harness, power steering pressure switch, fuel sync sensors (Cam/crank), and torque convertor are in good condition, it should work. If the convertor has a roasted stator, the front pump is bad, or a cooler line is blocked, the motor will get loaded up and bog out.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 PM
skinyminy0112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you!!

if i keep my rpms up it will not stall but other than that it will. i appreciate the info. i am goin to replace the power sterring pressure switch tonight and as for the torque converter how would i go about seeing if its bad or not?? and yes the pcm is all good to go what is the ctm??

Quick Reply: 01 4.7L quad cab stalling issue