2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bump Stop Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 AM
bilyo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. The mail order supplier that said the bumpers are $33/pair informed me that they are actually for a full size Dodge truck; not Dakota. So, it's off to the dealer I go. The second time I called the dealer the price had dropped to $21 each. Maybe when I get there they will be down to $15 (more likely, back up to $33). What do ya think?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no telling about the price. Hopefully they will honor the lower $21.00 quoted price. If they don't you can always ask for a discount. Dealer parts have huge markup (that is why they are so much more expensive than most aftermarket parts) and there is always room to negotiate. The dealer will still turn a profit even at the lower price. The trick is getting the dealer to lower his price in the first place. Some will negotiate, some will not but it never hurts to ask. Good luck.

Jimmy

Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
bilyo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The job is done. Price was $33 each. I searched many many websites trying to find replacements (not aftermarket) and the dealer was the only place to get them (except for that one site that I didn't find). It was painful to my wallet, but not my back as it would have been otherwise. Installation went smoothly. I needed to smear on a little silicone grease and use a large C-clamp to squeeze them into place.
For those that might find themselves in a similar position, the only other alternative that I thought of was to get the ones for the full size truck and cut/grind them down to size. That might work.
Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

Quick Reply: Bump Stop Replacement