2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Wheel Bearing and ABS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM
anjp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing and ABS...

My truck is a 2WD 2004 v6 Dakota with 85,000 miles. I need to replace the front wheel bearing assembly. Not just the bearing, but the whole hub assembly.

I'm comfortable with the job, I'm just having a bit of a time ordering the correct part. I'm looking at rockauto.com and it looks like I have 3 options for parts.
A- 4wd w/ 4 wheel ABS
B- 2wd w/ 4 wheel ABS
C- 2wd w/ 2 wheel ABS

It's 2WD so option A is out. But I'm not sure if I have 4 wheel or 2 wheel ABS. Is there an easy way to check? It's a newish truck to me so I haven't driven it through a winter season (ice) yet.

And it doesn't look like the parts are interchangeable. The 4 wheel ABS assembly has some sort of gearing on the back while the 2 wheel ABS bearing is just smooth. I put the truck up this afternoon but couldn't get the rotor off to check the bearing assembly. I have work the next few days so didn't want to get too deep into it until I order the hub assembly and am ready to change.

So, ABS. What do I have and how to I make sure I order the correct bearing assembly? Cheers.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you see any wires going into the hub? That would be one clue you have 4 wheel ABS.

Another option is to follow the lines from the master cylinder. Check the attached pic. If you see that you have 4 wheel ABS.

You can also email dodge for a build sheet. That'll tell you. Follow this link:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-my-truck.html

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hcu.pdf (24.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM
anjp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I didn't see any wires going to the wheel, only the break line. I'll check the master cylinder tommorro. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing and ABS...