2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Durango > 2000 Dakota parts interchanability

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Toad's Ride
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango > 2000 Dakota parts interchanability

To all the guys and gals in Dodgeland, I'm trying to wrap my head around some interchangability of parts from said vehicles

Namely, the larger fuel tank in the Durango and the regularors for the power windows.

1st question: Will the fuel sending unit and tank plug into the 2000's lines and wiring w/o a lot of rewiring and plumbing?

2nd question: Seeing as the Durango doors are shorter then the Dak's. Can I gut the door and place the regulator on the Dakota's windows. I know I will have to do either some custom wiring or custom switch pods but will the motor work on he larger window?

Longshot 3rd question: Was hoping that I could take the cruise,tilt, and stereo control wheel and column out and retrofit into my 2000 Dak. Or is that a pipe dream due to the wiring differences?

Yes I have searched on multiple forums and looked at both FSM's but I have not really gotten and clear answer from anything.

Hope anyone can sine some light on this fog.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

1. The wiring should work for the fuel pump on the Durango. I don't know if the tank will fit or the plumbing however.

2. What body style? The club and regular cabs use a scissor style regulator. The quad cab, the doors will fit a Durango, use a cable type regulator.

3. The wiring isn't that different for the cruise, etc. The big difference is in the ignition switch wiring. I'm not sure if the columns are compatible, the airbag is one concern. You can easily add cruise and the stereo buttons to your 2000 steering wheel. The only piece you really need, besides the switches and clockspring, is the back cover. A boneyard should have everything. The wiring is likely already in place.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Toad's Ride
Rookie

Its a club cab 2-door. I bought the Durango as a B-pillar forward body swap, but found out the doors are like 2-3" shorter . I ended up driving the Durango as it was fully loaded until the 4.7 developed a con road bearing knock and it current mileage doest warrant a motor rebuild or swap, not that i can find a good condition 4.7 around here at all.... So i guess the poer window swap is a no go?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 154 Likes on 141 Posts

yep, you're pretty SOL there. I couldn't tell you what interior parts can trade between cub cab and durango.

But, lots of chassis parts *should* swap over.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Toad's Ride
Rookie

My wanted swap list originally was:

Electronic 4wd : Not feasible with frame differences alone

Heater Core and Blower : Interior design change and different part numbers

Dual zone climate control and A/C: Different designs and Motors

Power Windows, Doors, and Heated Mirrors: working on the wiring and parts

B-Pillar forward Body Swap and 16" Wheels/Tires : Explained above, Tires done

Power leather heated seats and console: in progress

Tilt, Cruise steering column: ? Wiring

Larger fuel tank: plumbing possiblly

Reese Hitch: soaking in rust penetrator

Overhead console with Homelink and trip computer: differences in wiring between '00 AND '01 Trip Computer may not allow it.

Am I too ambicious?

Last edited by Toad's Ride; 10-25-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You have a lot of work ahead of you but if you have the time and tools you should be able to do some of your list.

The overhead console trip computer won't work. The computer bus is different, CCD (2 wire) on the 2000 and PCI (1 wire) on the 2001.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango > 2000 Dakota parts interchanability