2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It goes without saying but be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 2 minutes before starting any work on the truck. That will give the air bag system time to discharge and make it safer to work with. Like Dan said, all air bag connector plugs are yellow and often you will find air bag wires and wire harnesses either in yellow split loom tubing or yellow vinyl tubing. You may even see yellow tags on the wire harness near the connector that says SRS, Air Bag, use caution, or something like that.

I am not sure about a 98 but I *think* there may be an air bag module either under the center section of the dash or under the carpet just forward of the center seat section. That wire harness you mentioned may be running from the module to the clockspring or air bag itself. If that connector is unplugged or loose it will turn on the air bag warning light. Be very careful with it and let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM
dieselxj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I think that little connector under the knee panel is the culprit for the airbag light. If I can not get the connector to work, Do you guys think it is ok to use crimp connectors to put the old clock spring connector back on the wires , and then I can use the Dakota plug and the working connector from the old clock spring?
I was going to quickly look at the continuity of the cruise switches, but I am pretty sure the cruise will need to be turned on at the dealer. When the above poster said his cruise worked with out the dash light, I was thinking he maybe has a different model that I have. on the '98 jeep I had the factory cruise installed on they had to enable the cruise in the computer.
Well I did not get back to the Dakota this afternoon. I have 2 projects going. so I have to split my time all over the place.
Thanks for your help so far. I should get a bit of time tomorrow to maybe cut out that bad connector on the new clock spring. Or I guess I could just send back the clock spring and get another?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't use crimp connectors to make the splice. I would/did solder them. Use heat shrink, do it up right.

The clockspring I got from the junkyard had been cut and I needed to splice it.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM
dieselxj
Amateur

good idea, I can solder with the best of em. I did not check rockautos return policy, I would guess that it is a problem with the connector. but I don't want to have to pull the wheel again

Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM
dieselxj
Amateur

good news I changed the airbag connector on the end of the clock spring, and that took care of the airbag light on the dash. But the cruise control is still not working. I will go check the price to activate the cruise at the dealer tomorrow morning

Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
dieselxj
Amateur

Well The Cruise control Cluster F#$^% continues. I pretty much wasted a full day at 3 different dealerships trying to get the cruise flashed on. The story goes something like this.
I need a Dodge issued Sales code for cruise control for a '98 Dakota VIN # last 8 digits. WS505515. If has access to this info and needs any more info. Please PM me. This is a 1998 Dakota Sport 3.9L V-6, 5 speed manual transmission.
That is not all of the story. apparently after I get the code if it exists, then I may still have trouble getting the code to register on all the modules in the computer.

I would say that knowing all this I would have gone for the aftermarket cruise. BUT my steering wheel fairing is not very sturdy on its own. I can't imagine a aftermarket stalk not being flimsy as well.

Lots of people seem to think that this may not be possible at all.

I was wondering if I get a vin# from A donor vehicle with cruise. There were at least 2 Dakotas in the pick and pull with cruise. There was even one with a v-6 and 5 speed. but I don't think they were '98's Next time I am in town I will go by the yard and collect the VIN's from all their Dakotas.

Anybody have any knowledge on any of this?????

thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

NHMP is the option code for speed control on the build sheet.

I can't see there being that much of a change. Why would you need the sales code? It's a computer, you enable/disable it via software.

What kind of sales code do they want?

Did they hook it up to a DRB? They can test the system from that - every feature.

My first dealer experience regarding enabling the "cruise indicator", post install, sucked. They brought out some new tech with all his fancy ASE patches. His response was pretty much, it didn't come with the truck so it won't work, period. So, I went to another. This time I got an older mechanic that owned a Dakota. He knew exactly what I needed and 5 minutes later it was done.

Dealers put plenty of these systems in. It's nothing new, and that's likely the problem.

Before you give up, check a few things. Do you have continuity to the switches in the column. How about to the servo?

Sorry diesel. I'm pissed too!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM
dieselxj
Amateur

Well it is a long and sad story. the first dealer I went too was very far from home. but he said he was not busy and could fit me in , and his price was very reasonable $50-75. The other dealers started at $115 and went up from there. I got to the first dealer and it took him 2 hours to fess up to the fact that he did not have a OLD DRB, and his new stuff would not work. I then went to that dealers sister location closer to my house and on the way home. I had requested priority service because of the previous screw up. so the 2nd dealer got right on it, and he came back in a few minutes and started this story about dealer codes. , Acutally not a dealer code but a manufactures code. Then he had a song and dance about not being able to get the research done until the middle of next week. So Off I went to the Dealer that is closest to my house, but started off as the most expensive and busiest.
This guy also had the same story about the code needing to come from Dodge. he said he could do the research but it would take a while.
I asked if it was something I could do myself. he said sure and gave me a phone # to dodge. I called the # and got a song and dance about them needing some time as well to research for this code. . But the last dealer also said that even with the code he might not be able to get it done.
'00 DakDan, What year Dakota did you have your cruise put on was it your 2000. Also Don't forget my truck is a v6 manual transmission. maybe that is the difference.
Well the Dodge guy guaranteed he would call me back later in the week. Plus I will go to the Upull it and collect some VIN like I said and see if I cant find a v6 manujal with cruise to get the VIN
I am not giving up I have WAY TOO much time invested in this thing now.
00DAKDan. Are you still in contact with your old school Dodge mechanic????

Or if anyone can confirm that cruise was indeed available on a Pre 2000 preferably an actual '98 Dak with a v6 and a manual trans???

Old 11-12-2013, 07:36 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It might be a dumb suggestion but does the cruise have power? Maybe check the fuse panel and Power Distribution Center for a fuse dedicated to the cruise control. Since the truck did not have a factory cruise maybe there is still a slot in the fuse panel for it but there is no fuse installed?

Jimmy

Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have 2000 4.7 with a 5 speed.

No on contact. I moved a few years ago, he retired, and haven't been back since.

Check for power, etc. You can check for continuity to the control switches and the servo easy enough. You won't find a separate fuse, it's powered off of the PCM.

I've looked up the wiring diagrams for a '98 and the PCM pinouts for the speed control are identical to my '00.

Connector #3, pin 32 - speed control switch
Connector #1, pin 1 - sensor ground

You should have continuity all the time. As you press ANY of the buttons the resistance values should change - they're multiplexed.

Connector #3, pin 11 - speed control power supply - from here it goes through the brake switch (separate contacts from the lights) to the servo. I'm not sure if it is "hot" all the time when the system is on.

At the servo:
pin #3 is the speed control power supply - from the brake switch.
pin #4 is the ground.

You should have continuity to the servo from the PCM:

At the servo:
pin #1 is the vacuum solenoid. It goes to connector #3, pin #4 (PCM)
pin #2 is the vent solenoid. It goes to connector #4, pin #5 (PCM)

Don't expect any voltage on these lines unless the system is running.

Quick Reply: 98 cruise control