2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

steering rack leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013 | 10:42 PM
magnethead
|
Legend
Default steering rack leak

My truck has been leaking, but I was ignoring it since it was red and towards the back of the engine bay, where I have my trans temp fitting, and the trans fluid level was normal.

Went to cali last week, got back, and there might as well be a river in the driveway. Went to school monday morning, got back, and parked it. Trans fluid was still normal. So I crawl underneath, to realize it's coming from somewhere in the power steering system. Remove PS fluid cap, and the tank is flat empty, which is puzzling, as I still had power steering. The pump is less than a year old, maybe year and half at most. So I spray everything down with brake clean then blow it off with air and wipe down with rag. Refill tank, add a little stop-leak gel, go for drive. Come back, fluid is pouring out- had the tank too full. re-clean everything, add a little more stop-leak gel.

Went to school today, looked underneath in the parking lot, pump was physically dry, rack was not. Must be leaking from rack, couldn't tell from where.

Came home, checked again, pump still dry, rack is wet. Drag the hose out, and spray that whole corner of the engine compartment in a nice water bath, followed by drying everything with a rag.

Let sit a couple hours, went out, rack is wet again, pump is dry.

It's definitely leaking from the rack, but I can't tell where. I'm guessing either the driver side tie-rod seal, or the steering shaft seal. I couldn't find our dentist's mirror to look at the steering shaft seal, and I'm afraid to pop the tie-rod boot off and find what's within....

Hoping I didn't damage the pump too bad, and hoping I don't have to replace the rack...

Old 11-13-2013 | 07:44 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Try some of that UV dye or Jack the front up, clean the rack again, and have someone steer side to side see if you can figure it out.

Unfortunately I'm sure you know the rack and pinion steering is prone to leaks. I know my truck had it replaced before I bought it.

Old 11-13-2013 | 08:20 AM
magnethead
|
Legend

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
Try some of that UV dye or Jack the front up, clean the rack again, and have someone steer side to side see if you can figure it out.

Unfortunately I'm sure you know the rack and pinion steering is prone to leaks. I know my truck had it replaced before I bought it.
i didn't before, now I do. I'm at 153K miles.

On one hand, I'm glad it's an easy replacement item...on the other, the sticker shock is painful.

It's just dripping out while sitting, and I can't get it to leak for me while running. Hoping the stop leak is helping.

And I'm still not sure how I had power steering with the tank being empty.

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:01 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Oh I would think it would be leaking worse with it running. Were you turning the steering back and forth too?

And perhaps full time hydraulic power steering, part time pneumatic steering? :P

Old 11-13-2013 | 04:21 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

no, I was not turning the wheel back and forth. Just working by myself right now. But even holding it around 2000 with a block of wood shoved in the throttle linkage, I can't see any excessive leaks.

Old 11-14-2013 | 09:23 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

In that case Id try some UV dye, but its probably from your steering rack.

As long as the pump isn't groaning or anything I think you may have dodged a bullet.

Old 11-14-2013 | 09:53 AM
magnethead
|
Legend

a whole new rack from the parts store is $160 plus tax. Not bad, but I'm being stingy with my $$ for the time being.

Old 11-14-2013 | 10:12 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Rock Auto has it for $129.00 but the shipping for the new rack and core return might make it more than the parts store price. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check Rock and see what it costs altogether.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: steering rack leak