2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What? No headlight fuse on a dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
kessie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What? No headlight fuse on a dakota?

Hello guys
In over my head again and ran into a problem.
Had a CTM (central timing module) failure with all the usual symtoms ( chimes malfunction, 4X, headlights out, alarm malfuction, key fob malfunction, door locks malfunction ect). I changed out the CTM with a exact (part#) used one and all is fine again....EXCEPT the driver side headlight. No hig or low beam. Changed bulb, still no light. Looked for fuse referred to in the service manual ("Change both fuses" is what it says).
Well guess what? NOwhere in the PCM or the drivers side fuse box is anything labeled headlight or hdlt or any such thing. Chased down a couple of threads that advised there was a "secret" fuse/relay block under the dash next to the steering column....nothing there!

Can anyone tell me where the headlight fuse(s) are located on a 2000 dakota quadcab, 4.7,4X, SLT ? please help.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum Kessie.

The PCM has nothing to do with the headlights in a 2000. Yes there are fuses, under the hood in the PDC. There is one for each.

The PDC is the box just behind the battery. It has relays and fuses in it.

PS: I deleted your other thread.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 01-07-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: location of pdc
Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 AM
kessie

Thanks for reply!
Sorry, I meant no fuses to be found for headlights in PCD (large fusebox behind battery) not the PCM (don't know what that is).
I went over each and every fuse, relay and breaker in the schematic on the cover for this box....nothing labeled even close to "headlight" or "hdlt" or "lamp". In addition, I pulled each and every one and swapped it with another of the same value, testing each time for a working headlight. No luck. The wiring diagram in the service manual shows the headlights (individually) coming directly off the CTM without a fuse. Is it possible I have a late production vehicle that was wired differently than the early 2000 units?

How can something as simple as a headlight circuit evolve into this mess of modules and hidden fuses?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

PDC - Power Distribution Center - by the battery
PCM - Powertrain Control Module - controls the engine, passenger side, no fuses.

You have the wrong wiring diagram if it shows the headlights coming off of the CTM. Are you positive of the year? There were major changes electrically between '00 and '01 along with the interior design. There was no "late model" change.

You also refer to a CTM problem affecting the 4wd. In '00 the 4x4 was a manual shift - lever on the floor - the CTM doesn't control it either.

Attached is the PDC fuse diagram. I have circled the ones for the headlamps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
00PDC.pdf (28.3 KB, 247 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
kessie

I FOUND IT!!!
Thank you again for your help. The truck is a 2000 based on door sticker.
My panel is different than the one you attached (two rows of fuses is obvious difference) so I don't know what going on with that but.....It was a 20amp circuit breaker labeled CTM A . I swapped it with the one labeled CTM B and now the other headlight is out instead. So off to the store for a replacement.
I don't like it that such simple things as headlight breaker/fuses are SOOOOO mislabeled that a person might end up at a dealer to change a fuse. Now I wonder if I had to change out the CTM at all ;(

Here's the diagram that shows the headlights coming off the CTM:

Anyway, thanks for your patience and help!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Two rows of fuses? Like this attachment?

You have a 2001 Dakota.

Glad you got it fixed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01PDC.pdf (47.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
kessie

I think you may be right. That sure looks like the same fuse box! Just went and looked at the door tag again. Build date is 12/00! But registration says its a 2000. What month do they quit building the current model year, surely not december. I'm going to check the title as soon as I can. Sure looks like its a 2001 and the paper work is goofed up.

Labeling headlight fuses "CTM" is sure going to bring some traffic to the dealer looking for a solution to headlights that are out for other than the bulb. Back to the kitchen for me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0860[1].jpg (93.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0861[1].jpg (94.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

12/00 is a 2001 model year. When exactly the change occurs varies but it usually around Sept-Oct.

Look at your VIN. The 10th position is the year. For an '00 it would be a "Y". For an '01 it would be a "1".

Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My truck was built on Sept. 13, 2000. Its title and registration list it as a 2001. The 10th digit in my VIN is a 1. September is the first month of the new model year, or at least it was back in 2000.

Jimmy

Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM
tonyscartoons

Did you fix the headlight?

Quick Reply: What? No headlight fuse on a dakota?