2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 Dakota, poor heat, not normal

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Dave Meldrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dakota, poor heat, not normal

That's right, I said not normal. I've replaced the radiator, water pump, heater core, thermostat. not all in trying to get the heat to work correctly. this truck has been a money pit for me. the previous owners did not take care of this vehicle and I'm paying the price for it. both heater core hoses are hot so it's not a flow problem, the heater control seams to work fine, I can feel the vacuum pod rods moving. but I'm starting to think that the cable operated temp control door has broke off or the cable has popped off the case. if I remove the bottom center instrument cluster panel, I can see the bottom of the rod that the blend door is attached to and when I turn the temp dial I can see it move but not much compared to the dial. but I seen someone on here talk about a gasket that goes between the heater box and the cowl. either way I guess I'm going to have to pull the dash again to see if either that gasket is shot or the blend door is broke. I do remember thinking that during the summer time it always seemed like I had warm air coming thru the vents when the a\c wasn't on. either way, has anybody else had this problem also? I've put a thermometer in the vent and I get anywhere from 80-118 degrees. which on a 20 degree day takes forever to heat up a small truck. any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If that gasket was missing Dave you'd notice a blast of very cold air coming through under the dash - not through the vents. It's between the HVAC module and the cowl inlet.

Both hoses should be very hot. What's the temp gauge reading?

This is how to adjust the temp control cable on an '00. I don't have it for a '97 but it may be similar.

ADJUSTMENTS TEMPERATURE CONTROL CABLE
Any time the heater-A/C control or the temperature control cable are removed and/or replaced, the following procedure must be performed.
(1) The temperature control cable housing and core must be installed at both the heater-A/C control and the heater-A/C housing ends, and the heater-A/C control
must be installed in the instrument panel. See Heater-A/C Control and Temperature Control Cable in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
(2) Rotate the temperature control **** on the heater-A/C control so that the **** pointer is in the 12 o’clock position.
(3) Pull the temperature control **** straight out from the heater-A/C control base until the perimeter of the **** (not the **** pointer) protrudes about 6 millimeters (0.25 inch) from the face of the control base.
(4) Rotate the temperature control **** to the 1 o’clock position. Push in on the **** slightly and continue rotating the **** to its full clockwise stop. The **** pointer should be aimed at a position about 8 millimeters (0.315 inch) beyond the end of the graduated red strobe temperature control graphic on the face of the heater-A/C control base. If the **** is not pointed to the correct position, go back to Step 2 and
repeat the adjustment procedure.
(5) Rotate the temperature control **** counterclockwise until the **** pointer is in the 12 o’clock position again.
(6) Push the temperature control **** straight in towards the heater-A/C control base until the perimeter of the **** (not the **** pointer) is flush with the face of the heater-A/C control base.
(7) Rotate the **** to its full clockwise stop again. The **** pointer should be aimed at the end of the graduated red strobe temperature control graphic on the face of the heater-A/C control base. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, go back to Step 2.
(8) Rotate the **** to its full counterclockwise stop and release the ****. If the **** springs back from the counterclockwise stop, the self-adjuster clip that secures the temperature control cable to the blend-air door lever is improperly installed. See Temperature Control Cable in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures. If the **** does not spring back, the temperature control cable adjustment is complete.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Dave Meldrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the heck, I'll give it a shot. it can only get better from what I've got now. which is cold as hell!!!!

Well I had high hopes for the control **** reset but no dice. air coming out of vent is 80 degrees and at the feet its just over 100 degrees. I'm starting to wonder if the blend door is jacked up. only onething left to do is take it back apart. booooooooooooooo

Last edited by Dave Meldrum; 01-08-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 Dakota, poor heat, not normal