2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

lean, and pull

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM
t.storey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean, and pull

so im hoping its not what i think it is. my truck constantly pulls to the left, hard only on occasion. also it has a noticeable lean. i measured and the front driver side is an inch lower than the passenger front. the rear driver side is 1/2 an inch lower than the rear passenger side.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check tire pressures and check alignment. also you may need to tighten the torsion bar a little to adjust the ride height.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack the truck up and see if anything is loose. Have you owned the truck since new.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM
t.storey
Rookie

see i was thinking it may be t bar but why would that just loosen itself? and tire pressure is fine, alighnment however idk. previous owner (answers the dodgeramguy85's) said he just did balljoints but idk if he did tierod ends too. im having tires put on fairly soon so ill see if theyll check alignment too. its too cold here in michigan to just go outside and jack the truck up

Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've saw trucks sag on that side from heavy drivers thats why I asked. It would be different if just the front leaned on one side not both front and rear.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Do this.

Take a tape measure, and go measure the height of the front/rear leaf spring bolts. This removes almost all non-suspension variables in back. Also, are you measuring with the fuel tank full or empty? A full fuel load is around 150 pounds, plus the driver's weight.

Where are you measuring at? The fenders or the frame rails? Something as simple as worn body bushings or rotted cab mounts can make the body unlevel.

Once you have the height of the 4 leaf spring bolts, measure the front of the frame rails. The bumper mounts are slotted, so those won't work. You'll have to go in through the fenderwell or something.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
t.storey
Rookie

i measured from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well, looked today and leaf springs, hangers, shackles all are together, rusted, but together. the front i cant see much of. tomorrow im going to try to get under the truck and ill check my torsion bars

Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

Originally Posted by t.storey
see i was thinking it may be t bar but why would that just loosen itself?
I doubt that it loosened itself. But the torsion bar is basically just a big spring. Like any spring, it can wear out with use. All you have to do to raise or lower the front of the truck is turn one bolt.

As for the rear, there isn't alot you can do to adjust just one side. You COULD but it would be a bandaid for a bigger problem. But when you get the measurements these guys have asked for we will know a lot more about WHY it's not sitting level. Knowing if the frame is is sitting level will let us rule out things like body mounts.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the left front is sagging, it will cause the left rear to sag, too. Otherwise, the frame would have to twist for the rear to remain level while the front leans.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM
t.storey
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom A
If the left front is sagging, it will cause the left rear to sag, too. Otherwise, the frame would have to twist for the rear to remain level while the front leans.
so it dosnt sound like bent frame then? idk if i already said it but im actually working on the truck tomorrow so maybe ill find the problem

Quick Reply: lean, and pull