2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stiff power steering when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff power steering when cold

I mean real stiff as in almost no power steering at all. Truck has a brand new Mopar pump, rack, tie rod ends and high pressure line, filled with Mopar fluid.

Yesterday it was about 15 degrees in the morning, backed out of the driveway and pretty much had no power steering when I turned the wheels. After about 10 seconds once you drive there is no problem, it's just after initial start up and backing out. And this is with like 10 minutes of warm up time before backing out.

Why would it do this?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You've changed about everything. Why? Maybe this is related.

Seals contact when cold so it is possible that there is an internal problem in the rack when cold. Once you move the wheel and fluid circulates it works normally. You can test the pump output pressure but there is really no way to test the rack itself. Maybe the relief valve is sticking.

What fluid did they use, exactly? There are different spec's for each vehicle. I'd probably start with a flush, it can't hurt.

The only other thing I can think of is the steering shaft u-joints may be binding up. Once you turn the wheel a bit they may "free" up.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Thanks Dan. It was all replaced partly due to this problem and partly due to the pump whining (which is still does anyway). Thought the same thing about the rack, that's why I replaced it. Friend at the dealer did the rack and pump for me and used the specified Mopar fluid, which I think is basically ATF +4 but I know there is a Mopar part number and they refer to it as power steering fluid, but pretty sure it's just ATF +4.

I was thinking the same thing about the shaft u-joints, would they bind up worse when cold? It doesn't happen at all when it's warmer out, or at least not as bad.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

They could bind up when cold. Maybe there is some corrosion/moisture in the joint. I know the weather isn't going to be cooperating with you but maybe you could disconnect it and see how it moves or at least try soaking it with some light oil as a temporary measure.

It seems odd for a new rack/pump to have the same issue. As to the whine, I think all Dodge pumps do that a bit.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Dakmm
Professional

I hit it a couple weeks back with some spray white lithium but will try something a bit better and see. I'll deal with it until Spring and then swap out the shaft, it's easy and cheap enough.

If it's in the p/s system then it's staying. I'm not doing another thing to that system. Went through 3 aftermarket pumps trying to get rid of the whine, finally bought a Mopar and it's not much better. New rack, high pressure line and a couple fluid flushes initially. Done with that.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
As to the whine, I think all Dodge pumps do that a bit.
Is this really true, Dan? Mine does have a constant low level whine anytime I'm turning the wheel and I thought of eventually replacing it. Of course the truck has nearly 250K so I thought a new pump might make a difference. I already flushed the fluid and replace with ATF-4.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

How many people understand you should never turn your steering wheel unless you are moving just a little???

Why it puts a tremendous strain on the power steering pump and every part of the steering system ball joints rod ends rack so on.

That's one reason your power steering makes that noise its not happy.

You must have movement to take the strain off all these parts and you know every thing will last way longer also.

I will say one thing I think most cars have way to small a power steering fluid tank way to small.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 02-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

The best I like it.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 02-13-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Any pump is going to make noise. You're moving a fluid through restrictions. As '98 says, when you turn the wheel there is a tremendous strain on the system. Especially at low speed when you turn, that pump is working hard. Those of us who learned to drive without power everything can vouch for it.

What is objectionable noise? That varies by an individual. I don't think noise alone is a reason to replace a pump.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
How many people understand you should never turn your steering wheel unless you are moving just a little???
Quite a few, myself included, but there will be times. The whine is always there, probably on a low level when I'm not even touching the wheel. Moreso when I'm moving a little... like parking, for example. Might be normal for these trucks but an audible whining is not normal for most vehicles.

Just got the truck last August. I just don't want to change the pump if it's not going to make a difference and it's definitely something I can live with. The noise is low level but it's definitely a whine. None of my other vehicles, including older model Dakota that I've owned, whined. I'm pretty good about changing the PS fluid and making sure the screen filter at the bottom of the reservoir is clear.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Stiff power steering when cold