2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

brass or copper flakes in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 PM
dakotadriver1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brass or copper flakes in oil pan

wondering what parts are even made of copper or maybe brass.
i was told that it would only be my main bearings and that i could change them from underneath. Any thoughts?

98 dakota sport 3.9

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Might be the rod bearings, which would be a best outcome--they could be replaced without pulling the engine. Or the rod bushings (up where the piston is.)

Main bearings, however, require that you take the engine out--crank is attached to the flex plate or flywheel at the back, so doing an inframe is nearly impossible. If the mains or rod bearings are spun, you need to take the crank out anyway to have the crank turned at a machine shop.

It would be nice to know why your bearings failed, too.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM
dakotadriver1

Ok, first thing, thanks for the response.Now that you mention it he did say rod bearings..
the situation was as follows: wife was driving my truck while i did a tune up on hers. when she was pulling up to a light the oil pressure went to 0. by the time she got pulled to the side she heard a knocking sound. Cut it off and called AAA. When I started it to drive it down the drive way it was fine. Changed oil/filter, Started it and seemed fine. Trying to see if i could hear a knock or sound at all, I revved up and heard a distinct knock above 2500ish. cut it off dropped the pan (saw the flakes) pulled the pump. Posted this topic.. and we are here. Im working in my driveway so...?
deciding what i want to do.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if it's the main bearings, it should be possible to rotate the old ones out and install the new ones the same way. It's not ideal, but it works. If any bearing material has transferred to the crank, though, it makes more sense to remove the crank and dissolve the transferred material with muriatic acid.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Really hope the fix for you may be as easy as described above. If I may ask, how many miles on the engine? Also, was it run low on oil at any point. Oil change habits?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
dakotadriver1

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Really hope the fix for you may be as easy as described above. If I may ask, how many miles on the engine? Also, was it run low on oil at any point. Oil change habits?

it was bout a half qt low when i changed it. oil changes were every 5k max.
any idea where the flakes came from? are the bearring the only copper colored thing?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Copper is a component in the bearings and bushings. You see flakes and have a knock, a bearing is wearing.

Did you ever figure out why the oil pressure dropped to 0? 1/2 a quart should not cause it. A spun bearing could but why did that happen?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 PM
dakotadriver1

Ok so pump replaced, rod bearing replaced and back together now.
The only issue now is a strange noises in park. When in drive or reverse it seems fine, though I haven't put it under a load yet. I'm thinking I missed something. Any ideas what I'm hearing?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
dakotadriver1

Update:
After removing the flywheel dust cover the truck sounds great. I have since put about 75miles on it and no issues. So it seems that the cover was bent just enough to drag on the flywheel. Thanks again for the help.
Oh yeah. After looking thru the forum on how drop the oil pan. And then realizing that every one I read on the subject left out one detail. That is, you need to jack up the rear of the transmission an 1/2inch or so to get the pan past it. I found this in the service manual.
Thanks again

Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotadriver1
Update:
After removing the flywheel dust cover the truck sounds great. I have since put about 75miles on it and no issues. So it seems that the cover was bent just enough to drag on the flywheel. Thanks again for the help.
Oh yeah. After looking thru the forum on how drop the oil pan. And then realizing that every one I read on the subject left out one detail. That is, you need to jack up the rear of the transmission an 1/2inch or so to get the pan past it. I found this in the service manual.
Thanks again
I don't run my dust cover, either.

Quick Reply: brass or copper flakes in oil pan