2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering & Whistling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
redeye562
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering & Whistling Sound

I have 2 problems I need help with that may be related or may not be. I am having problems with the power steering with our 2003 3.9 Dakota. Intermittently the steering seems to "catch" and kind of seize up briefly while driving and at other times when I have been parked there seems to be no power steering at all for a few seconds. It is like having arm strong steering again and then it "loosens up" and works fine. The fluid level is good and there is no signs of leaks and the belt seems okay. The other problem is a whistling sound while we are driving that increases in volume as I accelerate. Again it is random & intermittent and although it seems like a long time it only lasts a few seconds although it may repeat several times in the space of a few minutes - then it goes away. There is no relationship to the steering problem - they are independent of each other. It isn't the blower motor and it seems to be coming from the driver side under the hood where the power steering pump is. But since it doesn't happen while it is idling I can't look and be sure. I am wondering if it could be a bearing problem on the power steering pump. If there is a bearing there. I have no idea and I am definitely not knowledgeable enough to know where to even start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I moved your post into the regular forum.

On the steering, there is a u-joint in the steering shaft that can bind up as you turn.

There are bearings in the pump but you should hear the belt squeal if it was seizing up.

On the whistle, could it be the alternator? Maybe a vacuum leak?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a whistle since I purchased my truck but it would normally only happen while resting my foot on the gas. If I took my foot off, or accelerated it would disappear.

I found out that it is just air escaping from the intake creating that whistling sound. Only happens in cold weather for me too.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
redeye562

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I moved your post into the regular forum.

On the steering, there is a u-joint in the steering shaft that can bind up as you turn.

There are bearings in the pump but you should hear the belt squeal if it was seizing up.

On the whistle, could it be the alternator? Maybe a vacuum leak?
Thanks I will check out the u-joint - that could be the problem. After reading the other reply I am now wondering if it is just air escaping from the intake as it does only happen in cold weather - or rather it has only started and is happening in cold weather - would love some warm weather to see if it still happens though!! Thanks for your advice as I don't have much mechanical experience so need all the guidance I can get. I would never of thought of the drive shaft itself. Have a good evening.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 PM
redeye562

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
I've had a whistle since I purchased my truck but it would normally only happen while resting my foot on the gas. If I took my foot off, or accelerated it would disappear.

I found out that it is just air escaping from the intake creating that whistling sound. Only happens in cold weather for me too.
Thanks for your information. I think you may have hit on the problem as everything else as in belts etc. look in good shape and there is no sign of wear or damage anywhere. Appreciate your help.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Charlie5280

Originally Posted by redeye562
Thanks for your information. I think you may have hit on the problem as everything else as in belts etc. look in good shape and there is no sign of wear or damage anywhere. Appreciate your help.
Good to hear!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redeye562
Glad to hear it. It only seems to happen on a very cold day, if its a warmer day I don't notice it. Never happens in the summer and it it doesn't hurt anyting. Just a nuisance as you drive - if I'm passing a pedestrian on the road i'll take my foot off the gas just so I'm not whistling hello haha.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm gonna assume the pump isn't growling like it's low on fluid, but full??? i've gone threw 3 pumps mainly from over reving while mudding...... it would growl, and no steering, but if i reved it up, i would get power steering back, but being mine is a 5 spd. man. i could just push in the clutch...... may also be a c.v.joint binding if it's a 4x4..... look for a torn boot, grease slung all over the inside of the tire..... just a possibility...... as for that whistle, i get it to right around 54 to 56 mph in 4th gear cruising.... gets a little louder with slight accelerator movement, but goes away when accelerating hard, or just letting off the peddle..... annoying..... and again on a cold winter night....... i sure hope winter ends soon, i'm itching to park my truck so i can my vmax out and stretch his legs.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

may also be a bad steering rack...... had to change the one on my wifes 08 nitro twice because the first one i got was faulty, and did exactly what your describing...... but check everything else to be sure...... racks are kinda costly, and a wheel alignment is needed after it's changed. let us know how you make out!!!!

Quick Reply: Power Steering & Whistling Sound