2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaking Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014 | 11:03 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

Coolant on the oil cap would concern me. Keep an eye on it for sure.

Timing chains, any engine related noise, should vary with RPM. Are you sure it is coming from the engine?

An exhaust leak can tick.

Old 07-02-2014 | 11:34 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Coolant on the oil cap would concern me. Keep an eye on it for sure.

Timing chains, any engine related noise, should vary with RPM. Are you sure it is coming from the engine?

An exhaust leak can tick.
No I'm not sure it's coming from the engine and when I first heard it I thought heat shields or exhaust leak. I'll try to stay sane until he looks at it again tomorrow. I'll keep you updated!

Old 07-03-2014 | 11:00 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

So the mechanic believes the ticking/rattle sound is a timing chain tensioner. I did notice today it did not start making the noise until the engine was warmed up. Does that make sense. Would it make sense the part could have been damaged when making the repair? He is going to fix it for me.

Am I ok driving for a couple weeks with this condition? I'm going on vacation in two weeks and I thought they could work on it then.

Also, I've noticed no more coolant on the oil cap or oil in coolant...I think it was just left over from when head gasket was blown.

Old 07-04-2014 | 02:00 AM
tspeed109
Professional
Default passenger side exhaust gasket

The passenger side exhaust manifold you have to put sealer on the bolts or coolant will leak.
Ask dealer if u can look at their repair manual. Mine leaked there and coolant just burned off.
If your trans is 454rfe then you cant over fill it. It has hole at top and if u put too much atf+4 in then it just will blow out. Check the trans in neutral too.
Hope i have helped some.
Use the special coolant too has to be one with hoat in it.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant!!!