2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaking Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 PM
tomes1978
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Coolant!!!

Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 Dodge Dakota last Thursday that has 105,000 miles on it. It has the 4.7 magnum engine. I was checking fluids on Saturday and noticed the fluid was a little low, I topped it off. I checked again Monday morning and the coolant level was again at the bottom of the dipstick. I see no fluid leaking and can NOT smell burning coolant. There is also no sign of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I took to a mechanic who did a pressure test. They found the system was leaking/loosing pressure in the cooling system rather quickly; however, they could find no external leaks. They even ruled out the heater core. They observed no evidence of coolant in the oil by checking the dipstick. They also pulled the spark plugs and saw no coolant in the cylinders. I'm convinced it has to be a head gasket or cracked head, but there is no other real evidence of that. Any advice on what it could be and any other tests I should get done? I'm thinking compression test and cylinder leakdown test, but not sure they would show anything since no coolant was in the cylinder.

Of course there was no warranty on the truck. The dealership has said they could put a product in the truck that is suppose to stop leaks called Blue Devil as a "courtesy" lol. I don't really want to put that crap in my truck. What do you guys think?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If I remember correctly we had one guy that had a pin hole leak in his timing chain cover plate that is were your water pump is attached.

The coolant leak is so small it burns off any coolant that gets in so you don't notice it.

Did they check your rad cap to see if the cap release pressure is too low if to low it will pump out your coolant in the over flow tank

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Start with the simplest thing new rad cap a quality cap by STANT or a dealer cap

Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM
tomes1978
Amateur

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
If I remember correctly we had one guy that had a pin hole leak in his timing chain cover plate that is were your water pump is attached.

The coolant leak is so small it burns off any coolant that gets in so you don't notice it.

Did they check your rad cap to see if the cap release pressure is too low if to low it will pump out your coolant in the over flow tank
He did say the cap tested a bit low. I believe it should be 20 and it tested at 17 psi. I will pick up a new cap but don't think that's the issue because the cap was taken off so the pressure tester could be installed. I did notice that the coolant appeared to be bubbling/boiling today when I checked the level when I got home from work. They also did the test where they check for exhaust in the coolant and it was negative. I will have to explore the timing chain cover possibility as it would hopefully be cheaper than pulling the heads!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 PM
tomes1978
Amateur

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Start with the simplest thing new rad cap a quality cap by STANT or a dealer cap
Probably a good idea.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I think you can have just the rad tested for leaks you may want to go to a place that only does rads.

They can do a number of special tests

IT may be a leak that only happens as you drive/under operating conditions

Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Double check around the thermostat housing. It's plastic and can easily seep and then burn off the coolant. You may also have a water pump leaking. Dye can be added to the cooling system so that they can spot leaks with a UV light.

Stay away from the snake oil "Blue Devil."

If it was ever overheated then it very well could be a head gasket.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tomes1978
Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 Dodge Dakota last Thursday that has 105,000 miles on it.

The dealership has said they could put a product in the truck that is suppose to stop leaks called Blue Devil as a "courtesy" lol.
I think something stinks here. I'd be talking very strongly to them about taking the truck back.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM
tomes1978
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I think something stinks here. I'd be talking very strongly to them about taking the truck back.
I agree that something stinks. They are not going to take the truck back, I don't have any legal avenue to get that done as well.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Most states have a lemon law. With in 30 days you should be able to return it.
Call a lawyer and see.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant!!!