2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help a clueless 18 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 AM
DudeGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a clueless 18 year old?

I apologize for the wall of text beforehand

Okay so I'm 18 and this is my first truck (so prepare for what may seem to be dumb questions), I've had it for awhile now, it's a 2000 Dakota SLT 4.7L auto tranny if it's relevant. I've been putting money into the truck for a few months on a few miscellaneous parts that irritated me such as the ignition switch because it had problems, radiator because it was pretty beat up and leaking coolant everywhere and the. However after I tossed it around in the dirt (not too violently) it overheated on the way home on the freeway so i pulled over and everything died as soon as i lost rpm, after inspection white smoke blew out (cracked a head gasket) i was leaking coolant out of the radiator because i lost the drain plug on the radiator (hence new one) and the negative wire to the battery fell off, I'm pretty sure I knocked it loose because the fuse box is a little loose as well. regardless I got it running again just by slapping the wire back on but it died a few times on the way home managed to get it started every time until i reached the off ramp where I had to push it across the intersection and left it on the shoulder for two days after I couldn't get it to start again, towed it home with an extension cord and a F-350 it has sat ever since. roughly two months have gone by, and I can't figure out why its not firing up, I know the head is cracked as coolant spewed out of the exhaust after replacing radiator but my dad believes something else is also the issue. I smell fuel, it wants to crank but cant, I've tried jumping it but that's not it. I'm at a complete loss and every suggestion is appreciated. Should I just drop another 4.7L into it? Or attempt a rebuild with this one?

TL;DR took truck out to the desert, way home it overheated pulled over everything died after losing rpm, checked engine, i was leaking coolant from radiator, fuse box was loose and the negative wire popped off the battery, popped it back on started it back up, repeated process a few times before making it home when i got it home it decided not to start anymore. I know I have a cracked head gasket as well (white smoke+coolant through exhaust) but my father says there is something else preventing it from starting I'm just not sure what. if i were to rebuild it would it be fine? or would i be better off completely swapping the engine?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm confused as to why you didn't fix the bad rad ASAP the 4.7 doesn't like getting over heated you will blow a head every time.

A very $$$$ problem that could easily have been avoided

Never over heat a 4.7

As to fix or swap out that depends on the $$$ you have and or if you can find a good used correct version 4.7 at a good price.

Are you going to do the engine swap or pay a shop?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dude.

Your engine is pretty much done for if you have coolant coming out the exhaust.

Like '98 says, the 4.7 doesn't like to overheat.

Swap the engine. Watch the tone rings when you do.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

You ran the engine without coolant. The engine might be seized in addition to the blown head gasket. Time for a new engine.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap the motor with a good used one.

Rebuilding one in your truck (which sounds like it's pretty beat up) just simply isn't worth it imo.

Regardless, the one thats in there now sounds like its done.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM
97dakota5

i dont know the smog laws in nevada but i would reccomend putting the 5.2 in i had the 4.7 in a 2002 and i couldnt get it to stop over heating i tried everything i could think of then finally cracked a head i picked my current truck up with a 5.2 and im am totally happy with it more power and better fuel econ than what i was getting soo i thought i would just throw that suggestion out there and the 5.2(318) has a good reputation for being bulletproof soo like i said i dont know you laws or preferences but i would recommend that route and also i dont know if its an easy swap i would think it would be if you got one out of a dakota with the wiring harness but i could be completely wrong and sorry for the huge reply haha

Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The 5.2 swap presents a few problems.

1. You'll have to swap the transmission.
2. The wiring harness is VERY different for a 4.7 due to the COP design.
3. Since the 5.2 didn't exist in '00 you won't find a PCM. You could adapt the 5.9 but would need to modify the fuel trims.

There is nothing wrong with the 4.7. It just doesn't tolerate abuse, such as overheating and not having the oil changed.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM
97dakota5

oh my bad haha i thought wrong sorry for the bad info thanks dakdan for clearing that up

Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM
DudeGuy

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I'm confused as to why you didn't fix the bad rad ASAP the 4.7 doesn't like getting over heated you will blow a head every time.

A very $$$$ problem that could easily have been avoided

Never over heat a 4.7

As to fix or swap out that depends on the $$$ you have and or if you can find a good used correct version 4.7 at a good price.

Are you going to do the engine swap or pay a shop?
was going to do it myself with a few buds to save money, and I broke the rad in the desert, it leaked out of the drain plug because i lost it in the desert but it leaked all the way home still managed to drive it to the off ramp though. first thing i replaced when i got home though.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I found a pretty good shape 4.7 over at pic a part with 106k on it, planning on picking it up with the next check

Last edited by DudeGuy; 07-20-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
97dakota5

read two replies above your last it sounds like the 5.2 would be a difficult swap for your year because of wiring ask 00dakdan he seems to know a bit about it maybe he could help

Quick Reply: Help a clueless 18 year old?