2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cab swap from '02 V6 2WD to a '99 V8 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 PM
booper2ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all I use from the '02 is the completely stripped down cab and I use all components from the '99 and put them in the '02 cab will everything out of the '99 cab, whole dash assembly and interior, heat/ ac box bolt up and align into the '02 cab?

Last edited by booper2ca; 08-03-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

I didn't realize so many things are different. Definitely sounds like you will have to strip both down to the metal shell and start over.

OH, and don't forget about your VIN. That will make things a little interesting as well…enjoy the paperwork on any cab swap.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 PM
magnethead
Legend

IMHO I would replace the bed and driver's door and cut and patch a new extended cab portion on.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The plenum should fit, with the new style dash, with modifications. I'm not sure if the bolts line up correctly.

You're not just stripping the cab, it's pretty much the entire truck.

All the harnesses are different. The '02 has "features" the '99 doesn't like the electric fan. So you'll need that. The CTM as I said runs almost everything, even things like the headlight switch work differently.

We're not even dealing with heated O2 sensors, the transmission harnesses, or anything like that.

What transmission are you going to use? The 42re behind the 3.9 isn't meant for a 5.2 (assuming that's what you have in the '99).

Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
The plenum should fit, with the new style dash, with modifications. I'm not sure if the bolts line up correctly.

You're not just stripping the cab, it's pretty much the entire truck.

All the harnesses are different. The '02 has "features" the '99 doesn't like the electric fan. So you'll need that. The CTM as I said runs almost everything, even things like the headlight switch work differently.

We're not even dealing with heated O2 sensors, the transmission harnesses, or anything like that.

What transmission are you going to use? The 42re behind the 3.9 isn't meant for a 5.2 (assuming that's what you have in the '99).
Dan, all he wants to do is swap cabs. Sounds to me like he wants to junk the V6 frame and driveline, and put the body on the good V8 frame. In which case I would say leave all of the V8 harness under hood, and swap everything from the junk cab to the new cab. The electronics won't know what cab they are in. It'll basically be a 02 shell (and not much more) with 99 interior.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thanks Magnet for keeping me on track

It's not just swap the interiors though, that's the problem.

First, gauges. NONE of the gauges from the '02 cab will work with the '99 CCD bus, none. No overhead console either.

Second, lights. The CTM handles the lighting in the '02. Instead of the switch actually making the light come on it triggers a sense line instead. Then the CTM does the actual turning on/off. He'll have to rig up a means to bypass the CTM using relays.

Third, things like the airbag computer. It's the CCD vs PCI bus problem again.

With the HVAC:

Possible major issue: If the mode doors aren't synced they'll need to relearn. To do that it's a DRB. How to get a PCI equipped HVAC controller onto a CCD data bus?

Minor issue: The HVAC also runs an ambient air temp sensor out by the radiator.

Minor issue: The AC uses a pressure transducer via the PCM, not the high/low switches as in earlier years.

It would be far easier to take the harness out of the '02 and put it into the '99. Then all the pieces will be there. He can use a 5.9 PCM.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 08-03-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking at the 99 I wonder if the frame is bent he should get that checked out it could be bad then he has nothing.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Thanks Magnet for keeping me on track

It's not just swap the interiors though, that's the problem.

First, gauges. NONE of the gauges from the '02 cab will work with the '99 CCD bus, none. No overhead console either.

Second, lights. The CTM handles the lighting in the '02. Instead of the switch actually making the light come on it triggers a sense line instead. Then the CTM does the actual turning on/off. He'll have to rig up a means to bypass the CTM using relays.

Third, things like the airbag computer. It's the CCD vs PCI bus problem again.

With the HVAC:

Possible major issue: If the mode doors aren't synced they'll need to relearn. To do that it's a DRB. How to get a PCI equipped HVAC controller onto a CCD data bus?

Minor issue: The HVAC also runs an ambient air temp sensor out by the radiator.

Minor issue: The AC uses a pressure transducer via the PCM, not the high/low switches as in earlier years.

It would be far easier to take the harness out of the '02 and put it into the '99. Then all the pieces will be there. He can use a 5.9 PCM.
that's why I said transfer everything. Stick the 99 CTM, cluster, pretty much the entire dash assembly, into the 02 shell. That way it's 99 electrical and 99 interior in the 02 shell. Like i said, the electronics don't know that they're in a newer shell if they all stay connected as is. It would probably take 6 weeks nonstop to do the transfer right, but it's doable.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I think I see what's going on and part of the confusion. In his first post it is:

Originally Posted by booper2ca
I want to swap the cab, interior and all, onto the '99 V8 4WD
Then later (post #11) it is:

Originally Posted by booper2ca
If all I use from the '02 is the completely stripped down cab and I use all components from the '99 and put them in the '02 cab will everything out of the '99 cab, whole dash assembly and interior, heat/ ac box bolt up and align into the '02 cab?
Booper, which way are you trying to go?

They really are not the same "generation" truck, despite us calling them both 2nd Gen. No matter which way you go you'll have major rewiring to do.

Basically, use the wiring harness/modules/hvac/etc from the truck that supplies the dash.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
booper2ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the confusion fellas. Magnet is correct. I will be only using the '02 cab stripped to the bone. All components will be transfered from the '99 cab to the bare '02 cab so everthing functions. My worry is the fit, existing bracketry and such. The frame has been professionally inspected and I was told it wasnt damaged in the collision. The '99 is a low mile truck. It would be a shame to scrap it. My '02 is tired but the cab and bed are in decent shape. When I first considered this cab swap I didn't realize the large number of changes that occured between the two years.

Quick Reply: Cab swap from '02 V6 2WD to a '99 V8 4WD