2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

boost it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM
chris214
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost it??

ok guys i have an 03 dak r/t. i got it for a real good deal and have fixed the problems it had. i have to say i really like this truck its pretty quick for what it is but i would like a little more out of it. it only has 46k miles on it. ive been thinking really hard about putting a turbo on it, i dont want to go with a supercharger as im going to be limited on funds. i can get a brand new t60 turbo for free and i would be fabing the hot side piping myself.
i have some questions. i am going to be new to forced induction i have built engines before so the mechanical aspect is no problem. what i need to know is pretty much evrything i can learn about turbocharging before i jump off into this. my goal is to have 300hp at the crank and i only want 4 maybe 5 psi.
what would be the best turbo, i want something that is going to spool up quick.
will i need a turbo with an internal wastegate. how do the wastegate and bov work together.
what bov is recommended.
i want to try to do this without an intercooler or spray but would rather spray if i have to do one or the other.
i have seen people say they drive the turbo off the passenger side mani/header would i be able to do this or would i have to have both banks driving it to keep exhaust pressure on both sides equal.
where would i be looking to get my oil feed from
would i beable to get a tune from someone like hemifever to control fuel and ignition timing under boost.
is the stock fuel system going to be able to handle this small amount of boost.
please inform me this is going to be an interesting learning curve for me and like i said i want to nkow as much as possible before i get started. thanks

Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by chris214
ok guys i have an 03 dak r/t. i got it for a real good deal and have fixed the problems it had. i have to say i really like this truck its pretty quick for what it is but i would like a little more out of it. it only has 46k miles on it. ive been thinking really hard about putting a turbo on it, i dont want to go with a supercharger as im going to be limited on funds. i can get a brand new t60 turbo for free and i would be fabing the hot side piping myself.
i have some questions. i am going to be new to forced induction i have built engines before so the mechanical aspect is no problem. what i need to know is pretty much evrything i can learn about turbocharging before i jump off into this. my goal is to have 300hp at the crank and i only want 4 maybe 5 psi.
what would be the best turbo, i want something that is going to spool up quick.
will i need a turbo with an internal wastegate. how do the wastegate and bov work together.
what bov is recommended.
i want to try to do this without an intercooler or spray but would rather spray if i have to do one or the other.
i have seen people say they drive the turbo off the passenger side mani/header would i be able to do this or would i have to have both banks driving it to keep exhaust pressure on both sides equal.
where would i be looking to get my oil feed from
would i beable to get a tune from someone like hemifever to control fuel and ignition timing under boost.
is the stock fuel system going to be able to handle this small amount of boost.
please inform me this is going to be an interesting learning curve for me and like i said i want to nkow as much as possible before i get started. thanks
do what you want on the intake side, the computer side will take anything you do and throw it in your face. You'll need a custom PCM, if hey eve make one, else you'll be playing the megasquirt game.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 PM
chris214

not sure what you mean about the computer shouldnt one of the tuners be able to make a custom tune for me that i can load into the ecm. anyone have expereince with someone for this.
which turbo is going to be best for this setup?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by chris214
not sure what you mean about the computer shouldnt one of the tuners be able to make a custom tune for me that i can load into the ecm. anyone have expereince with someone for this.
which turbo is going to be best for this setup?
It's a very finicky road. Most of the remote turbo guys go to a megasquirt. Main reason that the dodge intake-side sensors are not rated for boost, the block and rotating assembly aren't built for boost, the beer keg intake was not designed for boost, and the PM has no idea what to do with boost- it gets confused just with a manifold change.

if you need a more technical explanation, email hemifever@aol.com

Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 AM
chris214

Ok i will contact him and see what he has to say guess ill need to put the megasquirt in the budget. Any ideas on what would be the best turbo.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

300 "crank" hp? Stock they are 250hp, after the tranny loss, you're looking at 190-210 at the rear end. An extra 50hp at the crank will only net about another what 30-35hp. That's not even worth spending the coin.

If you just want 300 crank horsepower, just get an M-1 2bbl, PPH headers, 1.7 roller rockers, 52mm throttle body, and have it tuned via SCT by Hemifever/FlyinRyan or PIE.

You'll need the supporting mods in the end anyways, better efficiency.

You really don't need to use MS3 to tune the truck, SCT has came a long way, although if you said you did not want to use anything to cool the intake temps you're going to have some HIGH intake temps, which will require less timing and more of a chance of detonation. I live in Texas and running NA I see intake temps of almost 210 peaking at 260 degrees, and I was having problems with my timing being to high at 21-26degress or so, had to back it down a little. Luckily some of the tuners now can retard at idle and increase when IATs go down.

But overall, if you're only looking for an extra 50 or so hp, I say do the supporting bolt-ons for now and save the coin for a better bottom end to support around 8psi and let her rip.

Or cheat, like me and just use a huge shot of nitrous. Cheap and easy.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM
WhiteDak33

Interested.. This is some of the info i've been needing to brush up on. Let me know Chris214 what you find out about tunes, timing, and fueling. thanks. keep it going.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by User
Or cheat, like me and just use a huge shot of nitrous. Cheap and easy.
This is what I was going to suggest. You can install it in an afternoon, it won't affect drivability or fuel economy in any way when you're not using it, and you can buy a lot of nitrous for what you'd spend on a proper turbo setup.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Tom A
This is what I was going to suggest. You can install it in an afternoon, it won't affect drivability or fuel economy in any way when you're not using it, and you can buy a lot of nitrous for what you'd spend on a proper turbo setup.
granted User's definition of "Huge" is a 200 or so shot into a purpose built oversized "THAT is a SMALL BLOCK?!" motor.

Quick Reply: boost it??