2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission failing to disengage

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission failing to disengage

Hey guys,

So I can't find the thread from a while back so I've got to ask the question again (sorry).
Necessary info: 2001 4x4 545RFE (auto) transmission
So the issue is, when I apply the brakes regardless of force (light, hard). The transmission some times fails to disengage automatically and will "wind up" persay. It always does in the end but it isn't nearly as responsive as it should be. I think someone had say it was an issue with the crankshaft positioning sensor, and it needed to be replaced. Can anyone help me out?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you might be low on trans fluid and the TC is trying to stay in lockup mode.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

The tranny fluid is clean and at just about perfect on the stick when both hot and cold. The fluid was flushed & replaced about 10,000 miles ago.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say "wind up" do you mean you come to a stop and the transmission get's stuck in a higher gear? Could be your governor pressure solenoid - I've had the same issue in my Dakota.

This was in a 42RE however, the 545RFE might be a little different.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

The RFE is all electronics. there has to be a solenoid or sensor sticking.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default transmission speed sensors

Mine was doing the same thing it was a transmission speed sensor. There are 2 on the side of trans that look like crank sensors. One does the shift and the other does speedo.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

I will look into the speed sensor, I haven't gotten it out on the highway to test it at higher speeds recently (I just got the truck back). But I'm starting to think my abs system is acting up or my rotors are more warped (leaning towards rotors). Because it is braking weird now; this is a newer development.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:23 AM
cber
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the torque converter is what "disengages" an automatic transmission when you apply the brakes, it's why you can creep so much easier in an automatic as opposed to a manual. Without burning out your clutch, a manual is either on or off, and you will always move at idling speed at the very least (without bogging your engine down) when in gear. The torque converter takes the place of the clutch pad and pressure plate in an automatic, and is operated by fluid inside it. In some torque converters there is a clutch pad inside it that will engage whenever you are cruising steadily at a particular speed, so it could be that not releasing, or it could be a million other things.

Maybe take a video so we can see what you mean by "winding up".

Last edited by cber; 08-24-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

I'll try to, just right now it is very random. Example, drove the truck 4 times yesterday and not one did it happen. Picked it up from the shop 2 days before that it happened twice on the drive home (I think).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failing to disengage