2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Grinding and Grabbing Brakes... Still

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:54 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding and Grabbing Brakes... Still

So my truck doesn't get driven much anymore, maybe twice a week so I want to mention that right off the bat.

I had a seized calliper and my passenger side pads were done which is why I thought my brakes would grind and grab for the first 2 mins of driving so I ended up replacing both front callipers, new pads, new rotors, new brake hoses and a new brake line for the driver side (passenger side is only a year old).

Well fast forward a month and my brakes still grind and grab for the first 2 mins of driving and I don't know what else it could be. I bled my brakes way back when I replaced the calipers and it drove fine for a few weeks.

What else would cause my brakes to grind and grab for the first 2 mins, then act fine for the rest of the time I drive it?

I'm not sure what it could be really.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Are the rotors rusting up heavily? Maybe the pads getting damp, even just from the humidity? Then the pads could stick until you stop a few times and "clear" the rust off and dry the pads.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Are the rotors rusting up heavily? Maybe the pads getting damp, even just from the humidity? Then the pads could stick until you stop a few times and "clear" the rust off and dry the pads.
+1

anytime it rains I instantly have 600% grip power on the brakes until I get them warm and burn off the surface impurities.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

+1. My Dak squeals and grabs for the first few feet. This is due to the fact all I can find are semi-metallics, which are prone to this (one reason why the Cougar got ceramics!)

RwP

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine don't squeal much but they sure do grab real good for the first few stops if we get a good heavy rain while my truck sits parked whether at work or at home. I have Autozone middle grade semi-metallic pads and generic rotors on the front, still running the original rear shoes and drums on the rear. At 171,200-some odd miles I can definitely say I got my money's worth out of the OE rear brakes.

Jimmy

Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Mine don't squeal much but they sure do grab real good for the first few stops if we get a good heavy rain while my truck sits parked whether at work or at home. I have Autozone middle grade semi-metallic pads and generic rotors on the front, still running the original rear shoes and drums on the rear. At 171,200-some odd miles I can definitely say I got my money's worth out of the OE rear brakes.

Jimmy
I run the cheapest pads O'R sells and generic rotors. Stock rear drums and O'R brand shoes.

Makes alot of brake dust, but arguable better at stopping then a ceramic setup IMO. My 55-20 MPH range is about 60-70 feet. Maybe 100ft to dead stop. Most of the time I go into lock-up though around 35 MPH. Brakes work better than the tires...

Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors actually look pretty good all the time and I put ceramic pads on. Got a deal on them and last time I put semi metalics on my girlfriend's kms intrepid they squealed like no other.

Can't speak for the conditions of the pads though. Its very possible they soak up water when its not being driven.

I'll keep it in the garage for a couple nights and see if it does the same thing.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Grinding and Grabbing Brakes... Still