2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering/ Braking Riddle...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 PM
kenwill92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/ Braking Riddle...

When i drive straight on a road and hit a bump, the steering wheel will turn left. A lot left. But the truck doesn't turn, only the wheel. And it doesnt matter which tire i hit the bump with. When i brake hard enough to stop the truck, the steering wheel will correct itself. Again, without turning the whole truck. Any advice will be appreciated because im lost.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 154 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds to me like an interference connection between the steering wheel and the rack and/or the Power Steering system. Does it turn ok with the truck stopped? If the truck itself is not turning and the wheel is, you need to stop driving it because you are losing wheel to road connection. Almost sounds to me like you have a broken or soon to be broken intermediate shaft or rack pinion gear, like a cotter pin has backed out or an edge has rounded off and is allowing the wheel to turn disconnect from the rack....possibly by and edge. Is there an exact and replicable amount that the wheel moves?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What happens if you turn the engine off, but leave the key on (steering unlocked) and try to steer? Does the steering wheel move but not the wheels? Or does it steer ok but just hard to turn (as you would expect)?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
kenwill92

Its just hard to turn like normal and theres no float. It needs an alignment crazy bad though

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
kenwill92

Also, when it is in the middle of turning left by itself, if i steer right the truck will turn right

Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
kenwill92

Originally Posted by magnethead
Sounds to me like an interference connection between the steering wheel and the rack and/or the Power Steering system. Does it turn ok with the truck stopped? If the truck itself is not turning and the wheel is, you need to stop driving it because you are losing wheel to road connection. Almost sounds to me like you have a broken or soon to be broken intermediate shaft or rack pinion gear, like a cotter pin has backed out or an edge has rounded off and is allowing the wheel to turn disconnect from the rack....possibly by and edge. Is there an exact and replicable amount that the wheel moves?
Yes its always the same amount unless i hit little bumps, then it turns little by little but it ways stops at the far left limit that it does if i hit a normal bump. Little bumps being a decent sized crack and normal being potholes, speed bums, etc.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 154 Likes on 141 Posts

1) get it on an alignment rack STAT

2) Have them re-center the wheel and check the power steering system

Old 09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
kenwill92

Will do. Its not being driven now its not in my name yet but as soon as its registered ill take it down and get it fixed. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Steering/ Braking Riddle...