2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 blower motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 PM
DirtHogg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 blower motor resistor

Well I am having same issue with Number 1 sons 1st vehicle.2004 dodge Dakota,i got the resistor,unfortunately the harmess connector is melted as well.so got that,15 bucks for resistor then 100 bucks for new harness and wires.Problem is the wires do not match kit that has purp and green.I think that last owner may have bad connections or wrong connections as the melting of harness.Question:there are a set of numbers 1 to 5.As is now dodge orig wires Tan wire goes to #5 pin then Green with yellow stripe goes to #4 pin.Then Blue wire goes to #3 pin.Then Blue with yellow strips goes to #2 pin .Then Black wire with tan stripe goes to #1.Can anyone confirm this is correct wiring diagram?Thanks DirtHogg

Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I moved this into a new thread as the other was several years old.

That's the same as an '01 which is the same style resistor.

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR BLOCK - BLACK 5 WAY
CAV FUNCTION
1 BK/TN HIGH SPEED BLOWER MOTOR DRIVER
2 DB/YL COMMON DRIVER
3 LB M2 SPEED BLOWER MOTOR DRIVER
4 LG/YL M1 SPEED BLOWER MOTOR DRIVER
5 TN LOW SPEED BLOWER MOTOR DRIVER

Old 10-03-2014, 03:33 PM
DirtHogg
Amateur

Well thank -You 00DakDan
I did repairs this morning and I did find schematics on actual blower motor wiring as well.Just a google search.My one concern is why the melting of resist connector/short on probe #4 & 5.Everything did work but it looked like it got so hot in there that it was close to a fire,yet none of the fuses even blew?Guess it stopped right there.My concern really is that they did this not too long ago 1 month maybe.I hope this fix does not result in a fire this time.I just have a nagging feeling something else is wrong that is resulting in almost fire.If anyone can think of any type of test I can do to confirm there is not a continued heating up problem ?Thanx DirtHogg

Old 10-03-2014, 04:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a fairly common problem, on many cars/trucks, including the Dakota.

The heater/ac fan draws a lot of current. If the connection at the resistor isn't good, it will get very hot. You may have a problem with the blower motor drawing more current than it should as well. Unfortunately, I don't think Dodge publishes the amp draw.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When an electric part gets too hot it usually means either the part is bad or is drawing too much current. You can unplug the blower fan and un-twist the wires then plug it back together. Then start the truck, put the A/C on full cold with the fan on high speed and put a clamp style ammeter on the green fan power wire. If your ammeter shows more than about a 17 or 18 amp draw that means the fan is drawing too much current, which is what melts the wire molex connector at the resistor pack. If you don't have an ammeter you can buy one cheap at Harbor Freight. I had a similar problem with my truck. It never melted the molex but I did go through two resistors before diagnosing the fan. If I remember it right it was pulling about 19 or 20 amps on high speed. I put in a new blower fan and another new resistor and have not had any more trouble with it. That was about three years ago. I used the Factory Air brand of blower motor and resistor, bought them at Advance with an online discount code and saved about $40.00.

Jimmy

Old 10-04-2014, 04:43 PM
DirtHogg
Amateur
Smile

Thanx so much I will get a anmeter and check the blower green wire.You guys are great!!!!!Best Regards DirtHogg

Quick Reply: 2004 blower motor resistor