2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake line rust through... Replace entire line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014 | 01:33 PM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Maybe, I'm about to go look at it some more.

I may do that second option, and I'm also going to get someone else to look at it on Monday. Do you happen to know what size the line is?

Old 10-04-2014 | 03:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

I don't know the line size off hand, sorry.

Old 10-04-2014 | 06:06 PM
pine_cone

so I had the exact same problem cost about $50 to fix.
Goto Autozone/pepboys/Napa and get 25' spool coated break line, cut off an old piece and tell them to match the size.

rent or buy a double flair tool, whatch a lot of youtube videos on how to make those flairs.

just shove/push the brake line above the tank , then behind the transfer case brace along the frame then up the fire wall, i just left the old break line in place and zip-tied it to the old line. before you put the ends on slide a PVC or plastic tube around the break line above the tank to protect it from rubbing on the bottom of the bed.

you only need 15 feet, but its cheaper by the coil and it took 2 or 3 try's to get the end right, twice it looked good but it leaked and I had to redo it.

My dealer wanted $750 for the rear and $400 for the front. Rear included draing the tank.

If you have a little more money Napa sells premade lines with the correct old ford/dakota ends. 2-4-6-8 foot lengths just run a string to find out how many feet.

Old 10-09-2014 | 11:19 AM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Thanks guys... I was in a hurry, so I just took it to a different shop that had good reviews on google and they did it for $300 and replaced the rear wheel cylinder too. Money I didn't want to spend, but it runs real good and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it over a brake line.

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:08 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I ran into the same problem. I did it myself for around 80.00 but it wasnt as simple as it should of been. I replaced the rear line just by feeding it down the frame(didnt drop the tank or the bed) After I did all that the next connection starting leaking and this happened 3 or 4 times and I ended up doing all new steel lines and 1 rubber line down to the wheel. 300 isnt a great deal but to not have to deal with laying on your back for an hr or 2 is not that bad.

Old 10-09-2014 | 10:11 PM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Man that sucks. I hate when stuff like that happens. I know I didn't get much of a good deal, but I really had no choice. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. I just need the Dodge to last me til I can get it back home and get my diesel down here! I finally finished it, so now I'll work on getting the Dakota nice again because I don't think I want to get rid of it.

Old 10-09-2014 | 10:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Yeah I know what you mean. I found a few old pics of my 98 dakota tonight and it made me miss her. While she was sometimes a pain in the butt she was a pretty sharp truck. For what it was it ran pretty good.

Old 10-11-2014 | 07:54 AM
raybbr

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Yeah, that's what I was leaning toward. I was looking at it this morning, and it looks like the front of the line, up by the proportioning valve is gonna be a pain to get to.

Does anyone know what size that line is? I'm still deciding if I'm going to do it myself, it's currently at the local shop getting an estimate... I have a feeling they are going to want way too much though.
You can get one from Dodge and spend hours trying to get it back in place or you can leave the old one where it is and buy new line, bend it and route it safely for less money and time.

The hardest part for me was getting the connections in the block at the wheel. Make sure you have the right connectors. Most auto parts stores have adapters and the knowledgeable sales guys will know what you need.

I have done this on an old Voyager and my Dakota. In fact, I've replaced every brake line on both.

Quick Reply: Brake line rust through... Replace entire line?