2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 dodge Dakota Bad idle and jerking after warm up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014 | 01:10 PM
backyarder
|
Default 98 dodge Dakota Bad idle and jerking after warm up...

I have a 98 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6... Starts fine... Runs for about 10 to 15 mins fine then starts to idle poorly and while trying to load it up it starts jerking roughly... It is a standard tranny so I can keep it running but very poorly... after about 5 mins of this and or I pull over and stop and then restart all is well... It appears only to act up after starting if it is cold... If it has run for some time the problem is non existent... again only from a cold start... I pulled the IAC and cleaned it... Cleaned the throttle body and linkage on the outside but does not appear to have done anything... Thank you for any help or guidance you can provide...

Old 10-07-2014 | 06:51 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

How are the cap, rotor, and plugs for starters.
Check the fuel pressure too. The pumps do wear out over time. You can rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge from most auto parts stores. It should be near 49psi.

Old 10-11-2014 | 09:09 AM
raybbr

I had the exact same symptoms for quite a while. Now my truck won't start at all. It's all pointing to the fuel pump. (See this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-start-2.html)

I'm almost positive it's the pump.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge Dakota Bad idle and jerking after warm up...