2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HVAC mode issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 AM
ayoung101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC mode issue

hi all, i've got a 2000 dakota, 4.7L, quad cab with just shy of 200,000 miles on it (so i can't complain too much). anyways, just the other day, my HVAC started losing its mind. it seems to be working in floor mode and defrost mode pretty well, but i can't get it to work in face mode. and, at idle speed with low blower, i've noticed that sometimes it switches to face mode even though i have the selector in floor mode. when i put the selector in face mode, nothing happens. the temperature and blower speed still work fine. even though defrost mode works at the moment, i'm worried that with winter coming up, the defrost mode will stop working randomly and will cause an unsafe driving condition due to fog or ice. plus, i gotta get face mode working again before next summer anyways (i will want it for air conditioning in hot weather, of course).

i'm thinking it's a vacuum issue, perhaps a bad check valve, but i'm not really sure. thoughts?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Look here this may help http://www.in30.net/ a web I made regarding HVAC in a Dakota.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:23 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

there is a check valve on the brake booster vac line.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

By default, with no vacuum, the system goes to defrost - to prevent that safety issue you're referring too.

Start with the vacuum supply to the control head in the dash. Make sure the check valves are functioning.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Sorry all my web sites are down I'm changing my setup with my hosting service and wanted my account to expire so I could change things.

So some pictures I post on this forum will not show for a week or more

Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM
ayoung101
Rookie

update: it tends to turn into face mode (when it is on floor mode) only when i brake and only on low blower. as soon as i let off of the brake (or try to switch blower speeds), it goes back into floor mode.

also, i've already replaced the control head with a junk yard unit hoping for the best, and nothing changed. it hissed when i pulled the vacuum hoses off, so i know the check valve is working. i separately pulled the check valve in the engine compartment by the brake booster and it hissed there too (i just replaced with the same part). so that seems to leave the vacuum reservoir or something wrong with the HVAC unit itself.

thoughts?

Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

"I replaced with the same part" does that mean you put the old one back in?

The check valve is only supposed to allow air to flow one way. Hearing a hiss doesn't mean it works as it could be stuck open and allow air to flow both ways. Manifold vacuum is highest at idle or when decelerating. It is lowest when you floor it.

It's easy enough to change. Give it a try.

The reservoir is just a tank, that's it.

Blower speed should not cause a change in where the air comes from, unless one of the actuators or a linkage has failed. That means pulling the dash.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:02 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ayoung101
update: it tends to turn into face mode (when it is on floor mode) only when i brake and only on low blower. as soon as i let off of the brake (or try to switch blower speeds), it goes back into floor mode.

also, i've already replaced the control head with a junk yard unit hoping for the best, and nothing changed. it hissed when i pulled the vacuum hoses off, so i know the check valve is working. i separately pulled the check valve in the engine compartment by the brake booster and it hissed there too (i just replaced with the same part). so that seems to leave the vacuum reservoir or something wrong with the HVAC unit itself.

thoughts?
brakes draw vacuum from the system. The fact that you are getting movement when the brakes are pressed exactly points that the check valve is likely malfunctioning- it's purpose is to prevent pressure changes due to the brake system from affecting the HVAC just as you are experiencing.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 PM
ayoung101
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan

The check valve is only supposed to allow air to flow one way. Hearing a hiss doesn't mean it works as it could be stuck open and allow air to flow both ways.
i had not considered that... yes, i put the old one back in. i'll see if i can get a new part. should be pretty easy from any auto parts store.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:56 PM
mechanic80

Similar problems with the 2000 4.7 auto 4x I just bought (Vacuum controlled HVAC)
Under low manifold vacuum conditions, the mode will often default to defrost (climbing a hill) and return to the chosen setting (face, floor etc) and remain there until a low manifold vacuum condition is once again created. I have yet to isolate the issue. Thoughts? I have yet to check the booster check valve.

Quick Reply: HVAC mode issue