2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 AM
DawgFather
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue

Hello, I have a 1997 Dakota Sport with the 318 Magnum and auto tranny. Lately when I turn the key only the dash lights come on and that's it,nothing else. No clicking from starter,just dash lights. If I turn the key off then back on sometimes it starts fine sometimes I have to do it a few more times then it starts up. I know the battery is strong so I don't think it's the alternator and I don't think it's the starter. Could it be the ignition switch,dirty contacts,or is there a relay somewhere I'm missing? Any idea's? Thanx guys!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dawg.

A couple of things to check.

1. Try starting it in neutral instead of park. Sometimes the linkage gets a little out of adjustment.
2. Later model, I'm not sure if a '97 has it, have a "starter relay" in the power distribution center under the hood. This relay then energizes the starter solenoid.
3. If neither of those pan out, put a test light on the starter solenoid terminal that goes to the ignition switch, and see what the light does. The solenoid can be intermittent as well - or pull the starter and have it tested.

Quick Reply: starting issue