2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Female Needs Tranny Info - PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014 | 01:30 PM
EZduzzit
|
Default Female Needs Tranny Info - PLEASE?

Hi Everyone!

Love this forum! Have been looking around on here for help with two tranny codes I received, P1756 and P1762. My truck is a 2001 Dakota QC, 3.9L, 4 cyl., 4-spd auto. magnum engine.

I was driving along the other day and all of a sudden the truck started lagging. I stepped on the gas but it just barely moved forward. I was very close to home so I coasted there. I've downloaded the manual and found the description of these two codes but I still have questions because I have to bring it to a transmission shop and want to be educated before I do. I'm so afraid they'll tell me I need a new transmission when all I need to do is replace the Governor Transducer and Governor Solenoid along with a new filter, gasket and fluid. Here are a couple questions I hope somebody will answer for me:

1) Do these codes indicate I'll need a new transmission?

2) Will replacing the transducer and solenoid be all I'll need to have
done?

3) Do these codes point to other problems?

It's kind of funny to me that I am so nervous about these codes because I've fixed other code problems so easily. I think it's because they are "transmission" codes. I have no knowledge when it comes to this and having anything wrong with the tranny is scary to me.

Well, hopefully, some kind person or persons will answer these questions for me and put my mind at ease and also give me some knowledge to bring with me to the shop so they'll think I know what I'm talking about. I have lots of mechanical knowledge and I do a lot of maintenance and small repairs on my truck but I know nothing about transmissions. Gonna start learning now!!

Thank You for any help, info, diagrams, etc. you'd send to me!! I definitely appreciate expert advice!!

Old 12-15-2014 | 03:06 PM
EZduzzit
|

PLEASE?????? SOMEBODY?????? Help me out here. . . . . . . . .

Old 12-15-2014 | 03:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Honestly with those codes, your best bet is to take it to a transmission shop for a diagnosis. They are the experts. Do some research on shops in your area, read the reviews, etc. I went through the same thing recently. I did what I could do myself (changed fluid/filters) but did not fix the problem. Took it to a shop that I researched to death and felt comfortable with. Ended up needing a complete rebuild. They showed me the inside of the transmission. It was basically broke. (sunshell cracked).

Old 12-15-2014 | 03:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

Welcome to the forum EZ.

You have the 42RE transmission.

P1756 is: Gov Press Not Equal to Target @ 15-20 PSI
P1762 is: Gov Press Sen Offset Volts Too Lo or High

The codes COULD be related to a bad governor pressure sensor. A good shop would verify the pressures before replacing the sensor.

The codes just give you a place to start looking.

Old 12-15-2014 | 04:36 PM
EZduzzit
|

Thank you, jkeaton, for your reply. Sure hope I don't need a complete rebuild! Although I do a lot of maintenance, small repairs on my truck, I have never done anything as far as the transmission goes. Guess I'm a little scared of it.

I am taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow but just wanted a little knowledge of these codes and what, if any, other problems could be going on. I just don't like to go into a shop not knowing anything about any problem my truck's having.

Thanks, again! I appreciate your taking the time to help me out!

Old 12-15-2014 | 04:52 PM
EZduzzit
|

Thanks, 00DakDan, for your reply! I'll be taking it to the transmission shop tomorrow and hope it won't need a rebuild like jkeaton said his truck needed! I was hoping the codes were description specific and all that would be needed is a new sensor. Didn't want to hear these codes might mean there could be other problems. Sure hope I only need the sensor!

Thanks, again, for your reply! I do appreciate that you took the time to help me out!!

Old 12-15-2014 | 04:58 PM
magnethead
Legend

You didn't say how many miles. Mine did the same thing as Jkeaton- Broke the hard parts (the first time). The second time was a brand X convertor that came apart and filled the trans with lockup clutch material.

Old 12-17-2014 | 07:57 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Its not too bad to do yourself but the valve body in the tranny needs dropped to change them. If you are worried about it ask a male friend that has experience to go with you. Honestly dont like them talk you into a tranny just yet. Give them the codes. Our 42re in our jeep needed a new gov solenoid that happened to go out while we were 800 miles from home. Luckily this let us make it home just the jeep would start in 3rd gear. Got it home and did both the pressure sensor and gov solenoid at a local shop for 250.00.

Old 12-18-2014 | 04:28 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Sounds somewhat similiar to my issue... My truck wouldn't downshift to first gear which may explain that lag you're speaking about.

Rockauto carries both the governor pressure sensor and the transducer for around $50 ea IIRC.

Not a hard job at all. As soon as you drop the pan both parts are right in front if you on the 42RE. Good idea to replace the filter while you're there

Quick Reply: Female Needs Tranny Info - PLEASE?