2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

trans fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:49 PM
indiglofish61
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trans fluid change?

I am changing the trans fluid on my 2000 dodge Dakota, and the fluid capacity says 4 qts, will I need that much or will just three qts do it? I was told that about a qt or so will stay in the truck, unless I get it flushed. is that true?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Who told you that and why don't you believe them?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

should be 4 quarts in the pan and 1 in the convertor I believe....

Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Check the fluid before beginning. If the level is fine, measure what drains out and put the same level back in. Understand that you're only changing roughly a third of the total capacity with a single drain and fill.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have a manual for your truck Indigo?

I'm assuming it is the 42RE and not the NV3500.

TRANSMISSION FILL PROCEDURE
To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:
(1) Remove dipstick and insert clean funnel in transmission fill tube.
(2) Add following initial quantity of Mopart ATF Plus 3 to transmission:
(a) If only fluid and filter were changed, add 3 pints (1-1/2 quarts) of ATF Plus 3 to transmission.
(b) If transmission was completely overhauled, torque converter was replaced or drained, and cooler was flushed, add 12 pints (6 quarts) of ATF
Plus 3 to transmission.
(3) Apply parking brakes.
(4) Start and run engine at normal curb idle speed.
(5) Apply service brakes, shift transmission through all gear ranges then back to NEUTRAL, set parking brake, and leave engine running at curb idle speed.
(6) Remove funnel, insert dipstick and check fluid level. If level is low, add fluid to bring level to MIN mark on dipstick. Check to see if the oil level is equal on both sides of the dipstick. If one side is noticably higher than the other, the dipstick has picked up some oil from the dipstick tube. Allow the oil to drain down the dipstick tube and re-check.
(7) Drive vehicle until transmission fluid is at normal operating temperature.
(8) With the engine running at curb idle speed, the gear selector in NEUTRAL, and the parking brake applied, check the transmission fluid level.
CAUTION: Do not overfill transmission, fluid foaming and shifting problems can result.
(9) Add fluid to bring level up to MAX arrow mark. When fluid level is correct, shut engine off, release park brake, remove funnel, and install dipstick in fill tube.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found an external filter, and other info. iam big on using steel fuel, and trans cooler lines when you can. use ONLY steel brake lines. copper WILL break off. the factory uses steel for a reason!!!! mopar most use 3/8 dia tube, but some might be 5/16. i think most have the fluid in at the rear left side. here is an EXTERANL filter, i found. have one on my 01 dak. my idea is when you put a new filter in side this one will help from having to do the inside one as often.*
the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. a JX-150 for 5/16 tube. ONLY use high pressure hose. If you must. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

Quick Reply: trans fluid change?