2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another quick coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another quick coolant question

I know it's been asked a million times already....I've read a bunch of search results.

I'm almost positive I need to to get the Zerex G05 HOAT coolant for my '04 Dak with the 4.7, but I just want to make sure that that's already what's it in.

I bought it with 95K on it, don't know if it's ever been flushed but I doubt it based on the fact that most everything else on the truck was original, including spark plugs and all other fluids, has 107K on it now.

The coolant is still really clean and is effective down to about -45 on my hydrometer, but my radiator rotted out and is sagging at the bottom and starting to leak so want to make sure I don't mix the wrong stuff back in after I replace it.

Anyway the stuff in there is a light orange color. Owner's manual states to use a HOAT coolant so I can only assume that's what's in there based on the color and the owner's manual.

Seem like a safe assumption? Zerex G05 should be what I need right?

Old 01-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakmm
The coolant is still really clean and is effective down to about -45 on my hydrometer, but my radiator rotted out and is sagging at the bottom and starting to leak so want to make sure I don't mix the wrong stuff back in after I replace it.
Flush out the system with distilled water, then replace the radiator. A single gallon of concentrate coolant mixed with another gallon of DISTILLED water will yield two gallons, enough to do the job. To mix, pour the concentrate into a bucket then pour the distilled water on top of it.

I recommend this radiator due to it's greater capacity. It will cool better than the ones you see at the auto parts store.

Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-04-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

HOAT (G-05) is what came in the truck. Give it a good flush and then refill.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Flush out the system with distilled water, then replace the radiator. A single gallon of concentrate coolant mixed with another gallon of DISTILLED water will yield two gallons, enough to do the job. To mix, pour the concentrate into a bucket then pour the distilled water on top of it.

I recommend this radiator due to it's greater capacity. It will cool better than the ones you see at the auto parts store.

Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive
yep, you want the CSF. Damn good price, too. Happy with mine after 2 years.

Quick Reply: Another quick coolant question