2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Suspension Squeaking (bare with me)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Recursive
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Squeaking (bare with me)

After endless research the last few days Ive decided to just start a thread in hopes that I can get some clarity on a cluster of info I have tried to pick my way through.

Here's my issue. Front end squeaking, 2004 Dakota Sport 4X4. Extremely common with these from what Ive read.

My symptoms:

Squeaking when rocking the truck back and forth.
Squeaking when turning the steering wheel.
Squeaking/creaking when driving slowly up to a stop (at least thats when I notice it most)

Having all of these symptoms has lead me to believe that I need to replace all control arm bushings/sway bar bushings and ball joints. Is it safe to assume I need to replace all of these since Im getting squeaking from just about every movement on the front end?

I really do not want to take my truck into a shop and hear them say all those things need replaced and be handed a $2000 estimate. I am fully capable of doing all the jobs myself as I have access to a lift and a shop full of tools. I just want some clarity on where to start and what is the most likely the culprit of my squeaking nightmare.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

Jack up the front end by putting a jack on the control arms. You can then grip the wheels, hands on opposite sides of the tires and rock the wheels. Up and down (arms in 12 and 6 o'clock position) checks ball joints. Side to side (3 and 9 o'clock) checks tie rods, etc. Plenty of youtube videos on this.

My front end was squeaking and clunking, but no more. I found that my ball joints were good but the sway bar end links were shot. I changed those with some Moogs, and the front end is quiet now.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...uestion-2.html

...and no, I won't won't "bare" with you. Only do that with my GF.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-11-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:51 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You are asking for the impossible answer from people on a forum that can only guess we cant hear the noise so this helps no one.

It could be anything

You may as well ask the age old Q what is the best oil and get 200 best answers

Best is go get an estimate from a shop first then ask us what to do

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 01-11-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
You are asking for the impossible answer from people on a forum that can only guess we cant hear the noise so this helps no one.

It could be anything

You may as well ask the age old Q what is the best oil and get 200 best answers

Best is go get an estimate from a shop first then ask us what to do
This. We could all sit here and guess what it might be. All the usual suspects. Ball joints, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, etc, etc. Then you go and start replacing parts until you find the right one. Or, pay someone $100 for an hour of their time to diagnose correctly.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

oh, and by the way- it may not be a problem. you could just have poly bushings...which will never wear out, but due to their chemical composition, will squeak your ear off...I'd take that over the other option.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

See first Magnethead's comment - I've got poly, and if I don't keep them lubed, they squeak, especially in damp weather.

However - you can either pay for a full diagnostic by a competent shop (BIG hint - get them to do a full alignment, they'll be GLAD to tell you what you need! And at no extra charge!) or, if the truck is old enough, just bite the bullet and replace ALL the front end to get it ALL new. (BTDT on my 1988 290,000 mile Dakota, albeit with poly where possible).

That's a decision you have to make. With the price of front end alignments, however, I tend to the "Swap it all, let $DEITY sort it out!" so I can get ONE alignment for ALL the parts.

(And maintenance alignments later - but that's a different story.)

I would not think a 2004 would be that worn out, but eh, as has been pointed out by 98Dazaz and JKeaton, we don't know, not being there.

RwP

Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I would never install poly bushings they float in the bushing shell and turn into squeak monsters. If they were molded into the shell that would be better but I'm not sure that's possible they may snap.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I would never install poly bushings they float in the bushing shell and turn into squeak monsters. If they were molded into the shell that would be better but I'm not sure that's possible they may snap.
I'll take squeak over changing everything every couple years

Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

It would be nice if we had more options the stock are a bit to soft but quiet.

I have seen molded poly bushings for other cars mainly European cars but not the Dakota.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I have seen slotted poly bushings with oil groves

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Squeaking (bare with me)