2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Head gasket????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket????

so i went to put gas in my truck one night and noticed the lights dimming a little bit on the way. truck ran fine till i got to the gas station and turned it off. when i tried to leave the truck wouldnt stay running. got it home and looked at the oil dipstick and the oil looked fine. looked at the bottom of the oil filler cap and it was milky. started it a few days later and it ran fine till it warmed up then it sounded like a lifter was making noise so i turned it off and checked the oil and filler cap again and it was the same as before. if their is not coolant getting into the oil pan and just under the valve cover would i still need to change the head gasket? truck is 97 dakota 5.2 v8 4x4 with 33?,??? miles. i dont know the history of the truck or if its the original engine. just trying to get it fixed as fast and cheap as i can cause its my work truck. not wanting to do the head gaskets if i dont have to and so far it dont seem like i would have to.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Bradz,

It may not be, and probably isn't, a head gasket problem - depending upon where you live. It's been cold, darn cold this winter and with short trips that leads to a milky accumulation on the oil cap.

You might want to check your PCV valve, or just replace it.

The head gasket issue is not common to the 5.2. It's all cast iron. It's more of a 4.7, aluminum head, issue.

I wouldn't even worry much about a little lifter noise as long as the oil pressure is good.

Just keep an eye on it for now.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 PM
bradz
Rookie

i have already started taking it apart. got down to taking the fuel rails off and decided to try to figure out if it is the head gasket or if it could be something else. i have to find an oil leak anyway and with all the stuff out of the way it will help. the o2 sensors are bad too. could that have made my truck die? i noticed before this happened the truck would act like it wasnt getting gas at take off but if i let off the gas and pushed it again it would be fine. maybe its the tps?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Scanning it for codes would be a good idea.

A dirty throttle body can cause stalling/lack of power. So can a bad TPS.

I really don't think you have a head gasket problem.

Did you look down the throttle body? Do you see oil there? Thinking plenum plate.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM
bradz
Rookie

I had it scanned when i got it and it pulled codes for o2 sensors and trans codes. I did look in the tb and didnt notice anything but ill look again tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
bradz
Rookie

Looked in the tb again and no oil. Didnt really look that bad. Gonna put it all back together and see how it does. I just really hope its not the head gasket.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Head gaskets are not a common problem with the 3.9

Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 PM
bradz
Rookie

I went everywhere today looking for the pcv gromet and all i could find was one that the pcv valve will not fit in. The hole for the valve is too big. Any idea of what the part number is?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I could not find the PCV grommet for my truck at any parts store either. I had to order it at the Dodge dealer but it was pretty cheap, cost about $5.00 if I remember it correctly.

Jimmy

Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 AM
bradz
Rookie

I made one with the one it calls for and one for a ford and some rtv sealant. Ill see if it works monday if not sooner.

Quick Reply: Head gasket????