2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I need advice big time

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:23 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice big time

so i have a 2000 dakota SLT 3.9L with 4x4 drive with 175k miles on it. just recently i had the heater core blow out on me and i have a leak behind the water pump where the seal between the pump and the engine block has gone bad. i am not looking to getting another vehicle right now and was thinking of doing some rebuilt to both engine and transmission. I know there is a risk of other parts going bad if i were to have my mechanic open the engine block.

I know that the transmission is looking between 2k - $2,500. but i was wondering if anyone knew if it would cost around the same amount, more, or less to have it rebuilt?

Also i would like to know if i would do this, would there be other problems to arise down the road after all the rebuilts?

I do have more questions about this but i have to keep this short tonight and could use all the advise i can get.

Any ideas or advise would be greath

Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Txzick

What does " engine block has gone bad" mean???
How much are you willing to spend?
Has a mechanic diagnosed your problem(s)?
Did you buy it new and kept all maintenance up-to-date; as the manual states? Rebuild.
If you bought used & don't know the service history- buy rebuilt or boneyard parts: motor & trans and have serviced.
If it's a junker, fix what you can, drive it until it dies and repeat lol

Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur

wow so many question lol. The seal that sit behind the the water pump and engine block is leaking coolant and yes a mechanic did diagnose it for me. i did buy it used from a dealer and i have been keeping up on the services as best as possible but i do do the oil religiously. this is my daily driver and i want to try and keep it longer.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

replace the water pump, normal maintenance item (why rebuild engine if it's running fine?) miles don't dictate needing replacement or rebuild, is the transmission slipping? again why rebuild if it's not acting up? I've done engines with over 300k that measured within factory spec, and had others with 30k that were shot, if no noises, runs good, and compression and leakdown tests are good don't worry about it

Quick Reply: I need advice big time