2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Service Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service Intervals

My 2002 Dakota Sport 4X4 Q.C. 4.7 Auto, now has 193,000 on it. I bought it at 159,000 at that point I did new plugs, transfer case, trans and filter (not cooler return) f & r diffs, PCV, installed a K&N, flush brakes..... Hmmm should of just said EVERY FLUID lol

Have done rear diff, brake fluid, and trans (no cooler return filter) again at somewhere around 170,000.

Of course oil (full synthetic) and filter every 4, 6 at the max

What should I do now, I tow a 2300LB pop up camper maybe 6 times a year, a 2 horse trailer 3 times a month, and maybe 1 time a month my car hauler with a load (no less than 2600-6000 total weight) this is probably on the high end of useage, actual towing is probably less as I have a F150 and F250 also. I live in the mountains at 1400', my daily climb home is easy and real gradual, but seem when I tow it is more steep. I drive 65 miles a day for work (its been a DD since the DW's mom is using my Ranger since her car broke down in Aug last year)

The owners manual seems a little over kill on its amount of miles between. but regardless I was thinking of doing every fluid and plugs dispite being broke.

What would yall do??

Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If you're using the OEM plugs they are a 30k change item.

On the rear, if it is the LSD, then change it at 30k as well. You don't need the clutch material floating around in there forever. Get some fresh lube.

I really wouldn't worry about the t-case or the front diff, not for a long time. The transmission, check the fluid and see how it looks/smells.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If you're using the OEM plugs they are a 30k change item.

On the rear, if it is the LSD, then change it at 30k as well. You don't need the clutch material floating around in there forever. Get some fresh lube.

I really wouldn't worry about the t-case or the front diff, not for a long time. The transmission, check the fluid and see how it looks/smells.

I'd drain and fill the transmission every 30K as well. Especially since he's towing. I just performed a single d&f myself and replaced the cheap spin on filter with a mopar. I found out that the cheap filter didn't have an anti drain-back valve and it had bothered me ever since. Kinda glad that I installed a drain plug after I got the truck.

If PS fluid hasn't been converted to ATF yet, I would drain the tranny and use the old fluid to flush it (finish up with new ATF, of course).

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PS has been done too. I'm running platinum plugs, may go with iridium. My rear is LSD so I will do it.

My trans fluid looks brand new with about 15k on it.

Thanks for the other opinion's its nice to have someone else's ideas on what to do.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals