2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another SMP/BWD part fails!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another SMP/BWD part fails!

So.. just a rant post really but unless someone has an idea of anything to check for premature part failure please be sure to let me know; but every BWD part made since SMP bought them out.. has failed rather quickly.. several parts i've had actually.

Lately i forgot my IAC valve which was AC68 (SMP part number but was actually purchased as a BWD part) failed which has only been about less than 2 years.

Night before last it was working fine.. i was moving the truck and when i pulled up on a side of the drive way it was acting like it didnt have the power to getup the 2 " drop.. which typically the truck does.. even with my 32" tires..

Then died.. had to press the accelerator to get it to run.. thew my old factory OEM one back on which i replaced because of dieing in reverse and clicking sound and shes purring perfectly.. actually since she finished hunting the RPM she wanted the temp seems a little cooler too.. lol.

I hate SMP parts period.. they are such junk.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definitely sympathize with you on that.

Not for my Dakota, but I had to replace the injection pump on my Ford diesel and saw pep boys had a BWD reman injection pump for a good deal AND I had a coupon.

So I went and picked one up, turned in my core and installed it. The engine wouldn't restart once hot, and I narrowed it down to the pump. So I went and exchanged it, put the new one on and it was spewing fuel out the side... That pump was cracked! I took it back, got my money and core back, and spent a little more on a pump from reputable injection shop.

I hate junk parts!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 PM
brink5
Rookie

BWD is junk. Their sensors are the worst and I just had to return a bad injector of theirs.
I've had more problems with their parts then any other brand. I won't purchase their product anymore.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:54 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I buy everything from napa and summit. Boss lets me use the shop account then takes it out of my check. Spend the extra nickel and get name brand parts.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I always liked the parts from napa and carquest being most parts the same just packaged differently.. some of it anyways.. IAC's are labeled as Carquest by Wells and the other is unkown.

Advanced showed their IAC's as 'Carquest by BWD' so no matter what you go with seems its some cheap... shame.. I'm just gonna hit one of the mopar sites up

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 05-29-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

What do you guys think about Airtex/Wells ; I dont feel like dropping 100 bucks at the dealer and mopar online is going to want to sell me part reve c instead of the 38 buck B version.. and in case it doesn't work like the last bad one i got before where it flat out didnt work and had to get new one i dont want to wait on shipping..

Thinking about just getting the wells .. has lifetime warranty.. and ill carry around my spare OEM one in the truck just in case.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Airtex/Wells is a good brand name but they have cheapy models also so buy the higher priced Airtex/Wells parts always.

I have installed a number of Airtex/Wells parts with no problems.....yet.

Strange thing is sometimes they are named Airtex or sometimes Wells I stay away from them only Airtex/Wells.

Good parts are hard to find 70% is crap parts now.

Also what used to be cheap parts are now becoming higher priced parts but crap. Like bumpers and front grills used to be you could find them at very low prices now no.

The parts that get damaged the most often have become expensive like bumpers, grills and faring's.

Seven years ago bumpers, grills and faring's were cheap like front bumper $30 grills $15 and faring's at $30 now X3 or higher that price.

I know as I had a small fender bender in 06 and replaced all that stuff and remember the price I paid I took the insurance money and fixed it DIY.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-30-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:46 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I agree dak.. the bumper i put on my truck was labeled and sold USA so i got it vs the china and tawain stuff...

came in as TYGP which also re brands twainan TYG (Tong Yang something)... needless to say it didnt properly fit.. the shape and such as way off.. it was way off one one side.. fought that all day to get it on but i assure you there are at least 4 bolts that had no place to go... though it was labled USA made I really dont think it actually was. I think the country of orgin really was Tawain.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

Man, that's a bummer. I used to work for Oreilly's some 25 years ago and Borg Warner was pretty reputable. Since '07 I been going to AutoZone because of their rewards program -I buy a ton of stuff for our Chevelles. No real complaints. I purchased the turn signal assembly there for my '01 Ram some 4-5 years ago, so far so good. I did go through a window motor, for Ram '01, relatively quick but the one I have on now is lasting longer. Similar issue on a radiator, both have lifetime warranty. Too bad I don't have a Napa nearby.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I have my factory (well i think its factory) its running but instead of reving up to 800/900 when cold its barley sitting at 600-650 then hunts upwards to where it wants to be at..

you can really tell it's hunting trying to idle the engine but cant make up its damn mind where it wants to be at..

I have not yet bought anew one.. (Fundage) wanted to buy mopar for this part but they want over a bill for it at dealer... moparonline has the "B" rev for 38 but they claim they dont stock it and now 'C' is what you have to buy.. but just like my fan shroud i just know it wont be exactly what im looking for lol..

Considering the Airetex/wells from rock auto since its half the cost of Autozone.. but last time i replaced this i went through 3 of them till i got one that actually worked..

Its just weird that it hunting the RPM.. its been sitting in box in my garage for sometime but it was 'working' when i pulled it off.
But i do have 5% cash back on AUtozone but wont be but like 3 bucks ill get back.

Quick Reply: Another SMP/BWD part fails!