2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota SLT - Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota SLT - Headlight question

My driver side headlight started to flicker the other day. I removed the bulb thinking it was going out and replaced it with a bulb I had saved. Still was doing the flickering. I put the other bulb back in but cleaned the plug real good, sprayed it with some electronics cleaner and then used some dy-electric grease. Plugged it all back together and it still is doing the flickering, fading in and out.

Passenger headlight is fine.

Anyone else have this problem before? What was your fix? is it the plug going bad? Is it a short in the harness?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Does it do it on high and low beam? Hopefully it's a bad ground. If not, the CTM is likely failing as it drives the headlights - not the switch.

The ground is in behind the battery on the fender, towards the front of the truck.

Each headlight uses a separate ground.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:29 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Thanks for the response. It was doing it on the low beam. From what I've been reading on the old internet....it sounds as though my CTM is beginning to fail. I might try cleaning the plugs and connectors on that before I throw the towel in and by another. Albeit new or used from a junk yard.

Also sounds like I would have to take it to a dealer to have some things re-programmed if I install another CTM(i.e. Key Fob).

Your thoughts??

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just the low beam? It probably is the CTM. If it did it on high too it might be a bad ground.

Yes. If you replace the CTM you'll need the dealer to reprogram your RKE (keyless).

Old 07-02-2015, 08:52 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Just did a thorough check. I can tell you for sure it's only on the low beam. High beam works fine. Fog lights work fine in addition to switching to the high beam, the fog lights go off (as they should). I disconnected both battery terminals and cleaned real good, applied di-electric grease and re-assembled. I also disconnected the three plugs for the CTM, cleaned with electronics cleaner, applied a little di-electric grease on the plugs and re-attached.

I'm having no problems with any of my dash lights, dome light, both doors lock and un-lock fine with my key fob. Windows work fine. Pretty much everything is working inside the cab.

My next step will be to drive it for about 50 or so miles and let the computer re-learn itself and then see how the lights work. I'll just have to drive it during the day for now. No big deal. And if I still have the problem with the left headlight flickering, I'll have to break out the money and buy another (either new or used).

Just turned 160,000 miles on it too.

Last edited by ibcnul8r; 07-02-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota SLT - Headlight question